Nov 25, 2011, 9:00 PM EST
According to Maureen Mullen of CSNNE.com, the Athletics have hired Chili Davis as hitting coach. Imagine my excitement when this story broke while I was in the process of eating some turkey chili. It’s fate, I tell you.
Davis, who turns 52 in January, served as hitting coach with Triple-A Pawtucket in the Red Sox organization this past season. He had a .274 batting average and 350 home runs over 19 seasons with the Giants, Angels, Twins, Yankees, and Royals. He was also teammates with A’s manager Bob Melvin with San Francisco from 1986-87.
Gerald Perry was fired as A’s hitting coach after Oakland finished 12th in the American League this season in both OPS and runs scored.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 108
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 40
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 5
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 4
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 367
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (367)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (308)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (110)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (85)