Nov 25, 2011, 5:18 PM EDT
I haven’t had MLB Network Radio on this afternoon because I’m too busy listening to the new Vaccines album on my speakers wot go to 11. But apparently something interesting was said about James Loney. From Mel Antonen’s Twitter feed:
Dodgers GM Ned Colletti says on MLB Network Radio that James Loney will be at 1B for LA next season. Says 20-25 HRs possible.
OK. Let’s see: James Loney has been in the big leagues for six seasons and the most homers he’s ever hit in a season is 15, back in 2007. Sure. I think 20+ is totally reasonable.
The Dodgers desperately need a slugging first baseman. They’ve taken themselves out of the market for that for various reasons. I suppose they think that if they create unrealistic expectations for Loney, that the team’s inability to produce from first base will be viewed as Loney’s failure rather than the front offices.
It’s not rational. But I suppose that’s what they think.
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 9
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 27
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 19
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- Steven Matz stellar on the mound — and at the plate — in his major league debut for the Mets 19
- The 2015 Gillette Home Run Derby will have a new format 34
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (108)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)