Red Sox: It’s down to Gene Lamont and Bobby V. It’s gonna be Bobby V.

Nov 25, 2011, 1:56 PM EDT

Bobby Valentine

Alex Speier of WEEI talked to a team source who says that the Red Sox — who had Gene Lamont and Bobby Valentine in for interviews earlier this week — don’t plan on talking to anyone else.  It’s gonna be one of those two guys.

I’ve promised my hat for these purposes several times, but if the Sox actually hire Lamont over Valentine I’ll eat my copy of this video of Scarlett Johansson and Zooey Deschanel having a tickle fight. (yes, safe for work, but watch your volume).

What?

1. lazlosother - Nov 25, 2011 at 2:01 PM

This us why I read HBT.

2. cur68 - Nov 25, 2011 at 2:23 PM

Dude…stop threatening to eat stuff, ok? You’ll obligate yourself inot an ugly injury. Honestly…oh and how do you eat a You Tube video of a cat licking a bald guy’s head by the way?

3. uyf1950 - Nov 25, 2011 at 2:25 PM

Why do I get the feeling that the Red Sox ownership is just dragging this out to make it seem like Cherington is the one making the decision when he really isn’t. Just my opinion.

• JBerardi - Nov 25, 2011 at 4:20 PM

Because that’s the narrative the Boston media has decided to push.

• paperlions - Nov 25, 2011 at 4:43 PM

….and in no way is that narrative consistent with the facts at all….well, except for all of them. People completely unfamiliar with the Boston media have reached the same conclusions.

4. KC Downey - Nov 25, 2011 at 2:55 PM

I really don’t mind falling for the old “Scarlett Johansson-Zooey Deschanel tickle fight video” trick every time, because there’s got to be a tiny chance it’ll actually be video Scarlett and Zooey tickling each other the next time, right?

A man can dream.

• unclemosesgreen - Nov 25, 2011 at 9:36 PM

I was just grateful that when I clicked on the link I didn’t get RickRolled. Never gonna give you up … Crap!!! There it is again.

5. Old Gator - Nov 25, 2011 at 3:02 PM

What do you need a hat for? You already have a shell.

6. yankeesgameday - Nov 25, 2011 at 3:35 PM

I almost feel bad for Boston fans if they get Valentine. Who can stand listening to that smug prick for more than two seconds?

• dondbaseball - Nov 25, 2011 at 4:25 PM

As a Yankee fan, I don’t want Valentine to go there. He’s one of the most knowledgeable baseball minds around and would make the Sawx serious contenders. He could actually handle the press as well or better than Francona. Him being smug is undertstandable because he’s done something unlike the blowhards we fans have to listen to in NY-Francesa, Sterling, Waldman!

• yankeesgameday - Nov 25, 2011 at 4:39 PM

Knowledgeable: yep

Insufferable douche bag: yep

Can he make much if a difference in Boston: not really, they are already talented. Baseball managers affect the game less than any sport, so why get the moat annoying one around?

/bogged

• tomgallagher76 - Nov 25, 2011 at 5:55 PM

As a Mets fan, I would urge Yankee fans to offer to drive Valentine to Boston and pay part of his salary just to get him there. I suffered through his years at the helm of the Mets and was happy to see him go. Every time I heard him interviewed, or read his quotes I really wanted to be a fan of his. He is a great player’s manager and really made you want to root for him. He also has a great carisma that works well in a big market. His in game management, however, made me want to pull my hair out. Bobby Bo, a shell of his former self, is riding the pine after turning into an instant ground out machine? Great, let’s make sure to use him in crucial situations in the heat of a pennant race! Mel Rojas has been surving up gopher balls at a crazy pace, giving up runs and hits like nuts? Perfect, let’s use him every time we need a crucial out! My favorite moment of insanity, the moment that was burned into my brain: Mo Vaughn was red hot (which should narrow down the timeframe) and had just had a single in the 7th. Do you pinch run with Cedeno and get a speedier runner when your down by one run with no out, or do you deal with Vaughn’s slow trip arround the bases and keep your best bat in the lineup for a hopeful later shot in teh 8th or 9th? I could of lived with either. Waiting for Vaughn to get to 3rd with 2 outs and then pinch running Cedeno for him is the kind of move that made me celebrate his exit from Flushing.

• dan1111 - Nov 27, 2011 at 4:35 AM

He “would make the Sawx serious contenders”–huh? What are they without him?

• paperlions - Nov 25, 2011 at 4:44 PM

Boston fans are pre-adapted for Valentine…they’ve been listening to Belichick say nothing for 10 yrs.

7. cowboysoldiertx - Nov 25, 2011 at 3:50 PM

CC (I think thats what I am going to call you since if you keep eating crap everytime you are wrong you will look like CC), there is no doubt who they will pick. This just makes me hate the BoSox more!

8. boston25rocketman - Nov 25, 2011 at 3:53 PM

As a Boston fan all I can say about this final 2 is UGH.

9. proudlycanadian - Nov 25, 2011 at 4:25 PM

The Sox are going to get the Booby prize.

10. randygnyc - Nov 25, 2011 at 7:21 PM

Valentine is a douchebag and Lamont is a sissy. How did the redsux paint themselves into this corner. Valentine is no Leonidas. He’ll demand and get the respect of his players, but this essentially emasculated cherrington. No way does valentine take orders from that snot-nosed, sniffling, infant of the baseball world. Wouldn’t be surprised to see valentine sporting Cherringtons balls around his neck during the first press conference. The new energy necklace.

• JBerardi - Nov 26, 2011 at 8:21 AM

“Valentine is no Leonidas.”

Too bad, it would have been really nice to see the Red Sox hire the first openly gay manager… very progressive, and a nice of symbolic break with the past for the last American League team to integrate.

[youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pi2t58CRmbU&w=420&h=315%5D

• JBerardi - Nov 26, 2011 at 8:29 AM

Damnit, how do you people get embedded YouTube videos to work in this thing?

11. anxovies - Nov 25, 2011 at 8:12 PM

As a Yankee fan I hope it is Bobby V. I can love to hate that smug and smooth delivery and the easy explanations. I could never learn to hate Francona, who came off as a decent and knowledgeable baseball man. But Valentine… Oh Yeah!

12. arrooo - Nov 25, 2011 at 9:38 PM

Anyone who has an outfield of agbayani, jay payton, and timo Perez with Todd Zeille as your power at 1st base and you actually go to the world series. Arrogance aside, your the man.

• yankeesgameday - Nov 26, 2011 at 12:33 AM

Fluke.

And that series was never close.

• tomgallagher76 - Nov 28, 2011 at 2:38 PM

That team slugged a lot of homerruns and had a great rotation. Bobby V. was at the helm for 6 years (not counting the 31 games in 96) and most of those teams should have made it into the post-season (I would say should have made it far into the post-season, but once you make it there anything can happen). Instead they made it twice and it was close each time.

13. oldpaddy - Nov 26, 2011 at 8:49 AM

I’m a Red Sox fan :_(
    Why all the hate? It’s not my fault all the national media (including Craig) are Sox fans.

• jimeejohnson - Nov 27, 2011 at 3:37 PM

Hiring a new manager cannot make up for a lack of pitching. Red Sox were the most overrated team in history. That chump Papelbon nailed the coffin shut in classic fashion.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5256)