Nov 25, 2011, 6:20 PM EST
While the season is ripe for Japanese players to be posted, no one has heard yet whether Yu Darvish is becoming available. The Nippon Ham Fighters have yet to inform teams of his status.
Expectations are that the Fighters will let Darvish go if he makes the request. According to FOXSports.com’s Jon Paul Morosi, a source with close knowledge of Darvish’s thinking said Friday that it remains “more likely than not” that Darvish will pitch in the US in 2012. However, the source said there’s currently no timetable for a decision.
A Darvish acquisition would likely require a bigger commitment than what will be given to any free agent starter this winter. It’s unlikely the posting fee would top Boston’s $51,111,111 bid for Daisuke Matsuzaka, but it can’t be ruled out, and Darvish would likely want at least $10 million annually for his services.
Davish, a 25-year-old right-hander, went 18-7 with a career-best 1.44 ERA and a 276/36 K/BB ratio in 232 innings for Nippon Ham last season. It was the fifth consecutive season that he finished with an ERA under 2.00.
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 0
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 60
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 42
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (137)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (132)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)