Nov 25, 2011, 6:20 PM EDT
While the season is ripe for Japanese players to be posted, no one has heard yet whether Yu Darvish is becoming available. The Nippon Ham Fighters have yet to inform teams of his status.
Expectations are that the Fighters will let Darvish go if he makes the request. According to FOXSports.com’s Jon Paul Morosi, a source with close knowledge of Darvish’s thinking said Friday that it remains “more likely than not” that Darvish will pitch in the US in 2012. However, the source said there’s currently no timetable for a decision.
A Darvish acquisition would likely require a bigger commitment than what will be given to any free agent starter this winter. It’s unlikely the posting fee would top Boston’s $51,111,111 bid for Daisuke Matsuzaka, but it can’t be ruled out, and Darvish would likely want at least $10 million annually for his services.
Davish, a 25-year-old right-hander, went 18-7 with a career-best 1.44 ERA and a 276/36 K/BB ratio in 232 innings for Nippon Ham last season. It was the fifth consecutive season that he finished with an ERA under 2.00.
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 0
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 88
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 13
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 54
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 13
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (115)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)