Nov 25, 2011, 6:20 PM EDT
While the season is ripe for Japanese players to be posted, no one has heard yet whether Yu Darvish is becoming available. The Nippon Ham Fighters have yet to inform teams of his status.
Expectations are that the Fighters will let Darvish go if he makes the request. According to FOXSports.com’s Jon Paul Morosi, a source with close knowledge of Darvish’s thinking said Friday that it remains “more likely than not” that Darvish will pitch in the US in 2012. However, the source said there’s currently no timetable for a decision.
A Darvish acquisition would likely require a bigger commitment than what will be given to any free agent starter this winter. It’s unlikely the posting fee would top Boston’s $51,111,111 bid for Daisuke Matsuzaka, but it can’t be ruled out, and Darvish would likely want at least $10 million annually for his services.
Davish, a 25-year-old right-hander, went 18-7 with a career-best 1.44 ERA and a 276/36 K/BB ratio in 232 innings for Nippon Ham last season. It was the fifth consecutive season that he finished with an ERA under 2.00.
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 338
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 75
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 51
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 149
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 44
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 99
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (338)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (161)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (134)