Nov 25, 2011, 6:20 PM EDT
While the season is ripe for Japanese players to be posted, no one has heard yet whether Yu Darvish is becoming available. The Nippon Ham Fighters have yet to inform teams of his status.
Expectations are that the Fighters will let Darvish go if he makes the request. According to FOXSports.com’s Jon Paul Morosi, a source with close knowledge of Darvish’s thinking said Friday that it remains “more likely than not” that Darvish will pitch in the US in 2012. However, the source said there’s currently no timetable for a decision.
A Darvish acquisition would likely require a bigger commitment than what will be given to any free agent starter this winter. It’s unlikely the posting fee would top Boston’s $51,111,111 bid for Daisuke Matsuzaka, but it can’t be ruled out, and Darvish would likely want at least $10 million annually for his services.
Davish, a 25-year-old right-hander, went 18-7 with a career-best 1.44 ERA and a 276/36 K/BB ratio in 232 innings for Nippon Ham last season. It was the fifth consecutive season that he finished with an ERA under 2.00.
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 7
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 22
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 13
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 12
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 38
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 12
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 43
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 186
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (187)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)