Blue Jays acquire infielder Luis Valbuena from Indians

Nov 26, 2011, 6:23 PM EST

It feels like it’s been weeks since the announcement of a trade or free agent signing in baseball. Well, folks, the long wait is over. From the Indians’ official Twitter feed comes this bit of thrilling news:

source:

Valbuena posted a weak .209/.227/.279 batting line in 44 plate appearances this past year for Cleveland and has been unable to build on the flashes of production he showed back in 2009, when he slugged 10 home runs in 103 games as a 23-year-old. He’s unlikely to suddenly regain form in the Blue Jays’ system.

1. dirtyharry1971 - Nov 26, 2011 at 7:14 PM

And in other news the bluejays bought 3 bags of baseballs today….

• proudlycanadian - Nov 27, 2011 at 7:01 AM

They plan to use Harry’s house near Scranton for target practice.

• foreverchipper10 - Nov 28, 2011 at 4:31 PM

As long as they don’t use mine.

2. deathmonkey41 - Nov 26, 2011 at 8:49 PM

Can I file this under stories I really don’t care about?

3. cur68 - Nov 26, 2011 at 9:57 PM

I think I’ll file this under stories I shall keep an eye on. I have no idea who this kid is but if Anthopolus doesn’t shore up 2nd base and re-sign Kelly Johnson, then I fear I’ll be seeing a lot of Luis Valbuena. Can’t tell much from 44 plate appearances, though. Kind of hard to develop as a player with that kind of playing time.

• Francisco (FC) - Nov 27, 2011 at 11:11 AM

Well the Blue Jays system did wonders for Joey Bats. Not saying Valbuena will improve like that but hey may improve enough to be a benchwarmer instead of a paperweight.

• ptho16 - Nov 27, 2011 at 2:00 PM

shaky with the glove, swings for the fences

• cur68 - Nov 27, 2011 at 2:13 PM

ptho'; you aint cheering me up man…I’ll take FC’s view of the matter, if its all the same to you. Hope: either a cures or a gift, who knows?

4. JBerardi - Nov 26, 2011 at 10:41 PM

Great baseball name, I’ll give him that.

5. supersnappy - Nov 26, 2011 at 11:45 PM

John McDonald, I’m so over you… LUIS VALBUENAAAAA!

6. proudlycanadian - Nov 27, 2011 at 6:58 AM

The Jays have a habit of acquiring backup infielders from the Indians. They probably know Cleveland’s farm system better than Cleveland.

7. deepstblu - Nov 27, 2011 at 9:56 AM

Stay connected to Hardball Talk for more news from the Lukewarm Stove League. Or go retro and look for stuff like this in the newspaper, in that tiny agate type, under the ECHL standings and above the Division II assistant coaching changes.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester