Nov 26, 2011, 8:51 PM EDT
According to Marlon A. Walker of the Post-Dispatch, a man in St. Louis was arrested this summer for attempting to cash a $2,000 check on a Regions Bank account belonging to left-handed reliever Brian Tallet and his wife Natalie.
Tallet posted a rough 8.31 ERA and 10/7 K/BB ratio in 13 1/3 innings for the Cardinals this past season before being shipped to Toronto in a late-July trade involving young center fielder Colby Rasmus.
The man, a 21-year-old James Deal Cole, was charged with one count of forgery. Here’s more from the Post-Dispatch:
Cole told authorities he had been approached by a man in a landscaping company truck while begging for money in St. Louis. The man, who Cole said identified himself as Brian Tallet, wrote Cole a check and offered him a job doing some landscaping work over the summer. Cole said the man wrote a $2,000 check, telling Cole to keep $1,500 and give the other $500 back.
Brian Tallet, who finished the 2011 season in Toronto and is now a free agent, told authorities he never met Cole, nor did he hire the man for work.
Poor effort, fellas. Tallet, 34, is a free agent this winter. He’s likely seeking a minor league contract.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 14
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)