Nov 26, 2011, 10:37 AM EST
Paul Sullivan of the Chicago Tribune reports that Carlos Zambrano will not make his next start in the Venezuelan Winter League until December 6 as he recovers from being hit in the face with a comebacker during a start last Friday.
Big Z required 16 stitches after being hit below the right bottom lip. While he originally believed that he wouldn’t have to miss a start, doctors have ordered him to rest for now.
Zambrano has a 3.29 ERA and 12/6 K/BB ratio in 13 2/3 innings over his first three winter league outings. The 30-year-old right-hander recently met with Cubs president of baseball operations Theo Epstein in Chicago and was told that he will have to “earn his way back” to staying with the team. He is owed $18 million next season in the final guaranteed year of a five-year, $91 million contract.
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 65
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 120
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 79
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 156
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal 135
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history 124
- Biggest deal in baseball history: Giancarlo Stanton close to 13-year, $325 million contract with Marlins (182)
- So Curt Schilling spent his evening arguing against the theory of evolution (165)
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (156)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)