Nov 26, 2011, 8:58 AM EDT
According to Greg Johns of MLB.com, the funeral service for Greg Halman will be held Tuesday in the Netherlands. The family is also having a public viewing Sunday in the Kinheim gym in Haarlem, where Halman played baseball growing up.
The Mariners plan to send vice president of international operations Bob Engle, coordinator of European scouting Wayne Norton and and Peter Van Dalen, an associate scout in the Netherlands.
Halman, who played in 44 games with the Mariners over the past two seasons, died Monday morning when he was stabbed at an apartment in the Dutch port city of Rotterdam. According to the Associated Press, a judge has ordered Greg’s 22-year-old brother Jason to be detained for two more weeks on suspicion of murder or manslaughter. Police believe the incident may have followed an argument over loud music. Just tragic.
- Video: Jake Arrieta strikes out Chase Utley to complete his no-hitter 3
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 19
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 9
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 55
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)