The White Sox may have misread the market for Mark Buehrle

Nov 26, 2011, 1:36 PM EDT

Mark Buehrle Getty Images

Here’s something you may have missed during the slumber of the Thanksgiving holiday.

Joe Cowley of the Chicago Sun-Times was told by a source that the White Sox thought only five or six teams would be interested in Mark Buehrle and that it would ultimately take a two-year deal in order to sign him. Really, now?

It’s pretty hard to believe White Sox general manager Ken Williams could be that naive, as everybody knows there are only a few quality starting pitchers available in free agency this winter. In fact, our own Matthew Pouliot has him ranked No. 7 on his top 101 free agents, with only C.J. Wilson and (potentially) Yu Darvish ranked higher.

Predictably, the veteran left-hander has drawn interest from nearly a dozen teams and Cowley hears he has already received multiple three-year offers. If this is the White Sox attempt to spin Buehrle’s seemingly inevitable exit from Chicago, it doesn’t exactly cast them in the most favorable light.

1. yankeesgameday - Nov 26, 2011 at 1:41 PM

All I want for Hanukah is mark buerhle in pin stripes. If the Yanks make no more moves other than getting him I will be very happy.

• bigharold - Nov 26, 2011 at 1:52 PM

Either there are a few people around here that don’t care for you discussing your wieh list or they don’t want the Yankees signing anybody.

I wonder which it might be??

• yankeesgameday - Nov 26, 2011 at 2:33 PM

Seriously. Geez.

• uyf1950 - Nov 26, 2011 at 2:42 PM

bigharold, since 8 people gave your comment a thumbs up as of this post I’d say your right on.

• Old Gator - Nov 26, 2011 at 4:48 PM

For whatever it’s worth, I’d say the chances of seeing him in orange for the sunset (even though the sun rises here), yellow for the banana republic, black for the real bottom line color of the Feesh’s ledgerbook, and white for the wash that was applied to the city commission’s hearings on building Macondo Banana Massacre Field, are pretty minimal.

2. burgundyngold21 - Nov 26, 2011 at 1:49 PM

fuck that. come to the DC Mark!
    Buehrle
    ZImmermann
    Starsburg
    Lannan/Peacock?Detwiler/Wang

ROCK THE RED LETS GO NATS!

• Gonzo - Nov 26, 2011 at 2:29 PM

John Lannan is just awful. If I was a Nats fan, I wouldn’t want him anywhere near my 25 man rotation, let alone the starting rotation.

• dan1111 - Nov 27, 2011 at 4:39 AM

Huh? Why the Lannan bashing (and all the thumbs up for it)? Lannan has been nicely above-average in three out of four seasons. He’s good enough to be in most teams’ rotations.

3. jfegan - Nov 26, 2011 at 1:57 PM

Beware taking Cowley at face value on the subject of Kenny Williams (hates with a passion), or Ozzie Guillen (would hide a body for)

4. crankyfrankie - Nov 26, 2011 at 2:20 PM

rock the red??? Seriously go back to the football blog where that kind of silly outburst is considered brilliant. Sellout a game with more Nats fans that out of towners and than begin your yelling stuff.

• Gonzo - Nov 26, 2011 at 2:31 PM

Don’t listen to this guy. Rock the Red. Cheer on your team loud and proud. It would be nice to see good baseball coming out of DC.

• dan1111 - Nov 26, 2011 at 4:59 PM

Crankymonkey, go back to you tree, where throwing feces at everyone that walks by is considered brilliant.

5. bearyinsane - Nov 26, 2011 at 2:32 PM

I wish there where room for him in the Cardinals rotation

6. lewp - Nov 26, 2011 at 2:45 PM

Mark would make an excellent replacement for C.J. and at a much better value as well. Maybe the Rangers can work this deal?

7. mojosmagic - Nov 26, 2011 at 3:47 PM

Good planning moron.

8. lewp - Nov 26, 2011 at 5:13 PM

eat crap and die

9. neilbb4 - Nov 26, 2011 at 7:01 PM

He doesn’t need to leave Chicago, he’d be a good addition to the North Side!

10. cackalackyank - Nov 27, 2011 at 10:05 AM

I am with gameday and len that I think he would look great in pinstripes, but I am annoyed that I have not heard that the Yankees are showing SERIOUS interest. I really don’t get it. I know there has been serious mention about Wilson though. Buerhle has actually got a ring. (Albeight 6 years ago) Wilson did a classic el foldo in the post season. Yeah they’re both left handers and I believe Wilson is a couple years younger, but the Bronx is about getting it done under pressure. Even with the new Yankee Stadium I would be looking for as many lefties as possible…..and now to the barage of countering posts from the “numbers” guys for the next sentence…but…. I think Buerhle is better than Wilson.

11. JBerardi - Nov 27, 2011 at 6:23 PM

“and now to the barage of countering posts from the ‘numbers’ guys for the next sentence…but…. I think Buerhle is better than Wilson.”

Three legends off to Cooperstown