Nov 26, 2011, 1:36 PM EST
Here’s something you may have missed during the slumber of the Thanksgiving holiday.
Joe Cowley of the Chicago Sun-Times was told by a source that the White Sox thought only five or six teams would be interested in Mark Buehrle and that it would ultimately take a two-year deal in order to sign him. Really, now?
It’s pretty hard to believe White Sox general manager Ken Williams could be that naive, as everybody knows there are only a few quality starting pitchers available in free agency this winter. In fact, our own Matthew Pouliot has him ranked No. 7 on his top 101 free agents, with only C.J. Wilson and (potentially) Yu Darvish ranked higher.
Predictably, the veteran left-hander has drawn interest from nearly a dozen teams and Cowley hears he has already received multiple three-year offers. If this is the White Sox attempt to spin Buehrle’s seemingly inevitable exit from Chicago, it doesn’t exactly cast them in the most favorable light.
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 28
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 283
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (283)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)