Nov 27, 2011, 3:49 PM EDT
Rockies speedster Eric Young Jr. was sent to the Venezuelan Winter League this month to work on his play at second base, the hope being that he might enter 2012 with a bit more defensive versatility.
But that plan has now been derailed.
According to Rafael Rojas of Viva Colorado, an affiliate of the Denver Post, Young has been fired from his winter league team, Bravos de Margarita, for twice showing up to the ballpark late for games.
Young was also a disappointment at the plate during his short time in Venezuela, batting just .240 with a .333 OBP and three RBI in 50 at-bats for the Bravos.
It’s not yet known whether the 26-year-old infielder-outfielder will attempt to sign on with another club.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (133)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)