David Ortiz getting “serious interest” from a non-Red Sox team

Nov 28, 2011, 12:32 PM EDT

David Ortiz AP

David Ortiz is one of those dudes who you just really can’t imagine switching teams. But he is a free agent, and the Boston Herald says this:

David Ortiz has choices now. The free agent designated hitter is receiving “serious interest” from more than one team, an industry source said today, indicating that Ortiz has more than offer already. “He has lots of options,” said the source.

That’s nice. I put really high odds on that “industry source” being Ortiz’s agent, but that’s nice.

1. phukyouk - Nov 28, 2011 at 12:35 PM

“David Ortiz is one of those dudes who you just really can’t imagine switching teams”

Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell applies to Baseball as well

2. cur68 - Nov 28, 2011 at 12:49 PM

Craig: Just in case,

3. uyf1950 - Nov 28, 2011 at 1:10 PM

My monies on him going back to the Red Sox on a 2 year $25MM +/- deal.

• phukyouk - Nov 28, 2011 at 1:16 PM

no way! 1 yr 10 Mil with a Vesting team option maybe.. but 2 yrs 25 Mil… i cannot see the Sox doing that..

• uyf1950 - Nov 28, 2011 at 1:51 PM

phukyouk – why would Ortiz settle for 1 yr $10MM with a vesting option from the Sox? They have offered him arbitration. If he accepts arbitration he’s pretty much guaranteed a 1 year deal with the Sox through arbitration for about $15MM after the year he had in 2011 (he made $12.5MM in 2011).

Even if he takes just the 1 year arbitration offer then becomes a FA after the 2012 season he’s pretty much going to make $10MM minimum for 2013 with even just a pretty decent season in 2012.

• phukyouk - Nov 28, 2011 at 2:01 PM

I guess my point was more about the years and less about the $$$. I cannot see them offering him a 2 yr deal without some sort of vestings.

• uyf1950 - Nov 28, 2011 at 2:11 PM

phukyouk – I guess it just depends how badly they want him back. I just think at this point in time the Red Sox need him more than he needs them. Considering all the “other” issues facing Cherington this winter like pitching issues both starting and bullpen, RF and Youkilis’s ability to play 3rd on a day to day basis. Not to say anything about having to hire a new Manager, 1st base coach and a host of “other” people. I think they would be best served by getting the Ortiz deal out of the way sooner rather than later. But that’s just my opinion.

• phukyouk - Nov 28, 2011 at 2:17 PM

True… but the last thing he needs is to sign and Aging Ortiz to 2 yrs $25 Mil and then it turns out that he has another 2009 type season (maybe 5 or 6 less HR’s) as his first “Major” signing. I do undertand what you are saying about getting it out of the way and making sure they have that spot locked up.. I just don’t think he is worth that much to any other team.. only time will tell

• uyf1950 - Nov 28, 2011 at 2:31 PM

phukyouk – personally I think the O’s could be a destination spot for Ortiz if he doesn’t go back to the Red Sox. I could see the O’s offering him a 2 year deal after all they didn’t offer Vlad arbitration this go round and they paid him about $8MM in 2011. The other benefit the O’s have is that I don’t believe they would have to surrender their 1st round pick. It being protected since it’s the 5th pick in the draft next year. But like you said we’ll see.

• phukyouk - Nov 28, 2011 at 2:37 PM

the first 5 picks are protected?

• uyf1950 - Nov 28, 2011 at 3:07 PM

phukyouk – I might be wrong but I believe it’s the first 15 picks that are protected, not just the first 5.

• Kevin S. - Nov 28, 2011 at 4:05 PM

They changed it to first ten, not first fifteen. Not sure if that applies this off season or starts next winter, though.

• uyf1950 - Nov 28, 2011 at 6:58 PM

Kevin S – I think it starts with the 2013 draft. Not this upcoming 2012 draft class.

• Kevin S. - Nov 28, 2011 at 7:08 PM

That makes sense, uyf.

• vickadelphiaphreedom - Nov 28, 2011 at 8:02 PM

What’s a “monies”?

• uyf1950 - Nov 28, 2011 at 8:51 PM

What’s a “vickadelphiaphreedom”?

4. whatthehellisansky - Nov 28, 2011 at 1:41 PM

i can definitely see this fat f*ck in a blue jays uniform

• Kevin S. - Nov 28, 2011 at 1:44 PM

Wouldn’t be a bad move. Jays had a pretty solid offense despite not really getting much from 1B/DH. They land solid bats in those two spots and watch out.

• phukyouk - Nov 28, 2011 at 1:49 PM

maybe… i dont now that they would spend enough to get him.. the Jays need to focus on pitching as well i think.. they are like 1 solid starter 1 solid reliver and a big bat away from being a true contender…

• hittfamily - Nov 28, 2011 at 1:52 PM

I think he stays in the AL East. Jay/Ray/Sox next year. Rays could certainly put in an offer. Damon costs mil. Would it be that much of a stretch to offer 12m for a 1 year deal? If they trade Shields or Upton for prospects, this move is certainly doable from a Tampa standpoint.

If the Rays somehow manage to sign him, this makes them the favorites to win the AL Beast. When Matt Moore is their #7 starter, and Matt Joyce is going to be 7th or 8th in the lineup, that is a dangerous club.

• hittfamily - Nov 28, 2011 at 1:53 PM

edit:
        Damon costs them 6 mil.

• uyf1950 - Nov 28, 2011 at 1:54 PM

The problem with him going to the Jays is they would have to surrender their 1st round draft pick to the Red Sox. I believe that’s #17. I doubt they would do that to an in division rival and pay the player (Ortiz) in the neighborhood of $25MM for a couple of years.

• proudlycanadian - Nov 28, 2011 at 3:13 PM

Forget it. Will not happen. The Jays do not need an elderly DH.

5. deathmonkey41 - Nov 28, 2011 at 1:47 PM

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again- testing becomes a lot more strigent when you leave the Red Sox and go elsewhere- maybe he should give his bash brother Manny a call.

• kedaco - Nov 28, 2011 at 3:57 PM

Funny how that works…

• dondada10 - Nov 28, 2011 at 5:18 PM

Exactly how does testing become more stringent (or strigent, as you claim) when a player leaves the Red Sox? MLB is in charge of testing, not individual clubs.

6. bozosforall - Nov 28, 2011 at 2:50 PM

Anything that weakens the Red Sux lineup is fine by me. Go get ‘em, Ortiz. LMAO

7. randygnyc - Nov 28, 2011 at 6:59 PM

Too bad that “other team” is in Japan.

8. letsseetwogamestoday - Nov 29, 2011 at 11:01 AM

44 of your own words of insightful journalism…wow…thanks!

Colby-on-Colby crime in Toronto