Jordan Schafer enters a diversion program

Nov 28, 2011, 11:32 AM EDT

Jordan Schafer AP

Astros outfielder Jordan Schafer was arrested  in Florida back in October for possession of marijuana and paraphernalia.  At a Cheesecake Factory. Just, I don’t know either, but that’s what he did.  Looks like he’s going to fly clear of serious consequences, however, as Zach Levine of the Houston Chronicle reports that he has opted for Florida’s pretrial intervention program. If he completes it, he’d face no other penalty.

So that means Schaefer should be all set for spring training and ample playing time as the Astros’ center fielder. Which seems like excessive punishment for Houston, but that’s how the justice system works sometimes.

1. yankeesfanlen - Nov 28, 2011 at 11:44 AM

Duuuuuuuuude! Center field is so awesome- You can go whichever way you want! Let’s crash at Friday’s after the game- I got the munchies real bad and nobody checks out the Walmart parking lot next door.

2. APBA Guy - Nov 28, 2011 at 12:06 PM

Munchies strike everyone differently. For some people it’s brownies, for others it’s potato chips. When I was in college it was always donuts. Mr. Donut had to open at midnight because of the demand.

I guess with Jordan it was cheesecake. Not the best training table diet, especially with the new emphasis on endurance conditioning that’s coming to MLB from the EPL.

• yankeesfanlen - Nov 28, 2011 at 12:12 PM

Hi APBA- nice to see you around these parts.
      Maybe Jordan and Timmy can meet up next year during one of the last Astros-Giants games. Cooool!

• APBA Guy - Nov 28, 2011 at 4:28 PM

Hey Len-

Who is doing the thumbs down? It’s like one for each of us. Guess they never had the munchies.

• Old Gator - Nov 28, 2011 at 12:38 PM

For me, munchies usually meant a half dozen stone crab claws (in season – I would never poach stone crabs, though I might occasionally saute them) which, having no sugar in them to counteract the hypoglycemia that causes munchies in the first place, often led to yet another half dozen stone crabs.

During the off season (for stone crabs), I would usually munchie out on Alice B. Toklas brownies, which of course, in addition to containing sugar to equilibrate the munchies, also contained more weed, which counteracted the equilibration, leading to more brownies….

• koufaxmitzvah - Nov 28, 2011 at 12:49 PM

I love munchie threads. Any kind of mint ice cream will do, preferably Ben and Jerry’s because they add cookies to the mix.

• Old Gator - Nov 28, 2011 at 1:22 PM

I didn’t know that. And I came so close to the container of mint ice cream in the Ben and Jerry’s stack so many times….opting, of course, for the Cherry Garcia, a scoop of which in a glass of Framboise raspberry lambic beer makes an ice cream “soda” that’ll roll your red-webbed eyes up in your head.

• danielwold - Nov 28, 2011 at 2:00 PM

Cheesecake factory is a full blown restaurant. Its not just cheesecake FYI

3. scafeets - Nov 28, 2011 at 12:37 PM

Too bad his BA is half of .420

4. bw115 - Nov 28, 2011 at 1:09 PM

Getting busted at a Cheese Cake factory?

• jwbiii - Nov 28, 2011 at 2:50 PM

Really. Did he burn one at his table or something?

• cur68 - Nov 28, 2011 at 3:17 PM

Pulled up in the Cheesecake Factory parking lot next to a cop while holding a fattie. May even have offered the cop a toke ’cause he was so mellow. He had at least 3 more spliffs worth in the car, too. Guess he was gonna make an evening of it.

5. stex52 - Nov 28, 2011 at 1:19 PM

I guess this is Michael Bourne lite.

Looking forward to another stellar year for the ‘Stros.

6. danielwold - Nov 28, 2011 at 1:49 PM

big deal. the guy wanted munchies at the cheesecake factory. smoking pot and eating food is a hell of a lot safer than going to night clubs.

7. stlouis1baseball - Nov 28, 2011 at 1:49 PM

For me…it was always (without fail)…a big bowl of Fruity Pebbles.
    With or without Milk…that stuff never dissapointed.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (4904)