Nov 28, 2011, 11:51 AM EDT
Jaso facing most right-handers and Olivo facing most left-handers is a natural platoon from which the Mariners could get very nice production, but Adam Moore is also waiting in the wings as the potential right-handed-hitting portion of that equation.
Olivo has 20-homer power, but he’s also MLB’s most undisciplined hitter, posting a putrid .279 career on-base percentage. That includes this year’s 140/20 K/BB ratio and .254 OBP, which prior to 2011 was the lowest by a qualified hitter since 1989. And he’s led the league in passed balls four times in six years.
He’s also 33 years old and under contract for $3.5 million in 2012 with a $3 million option or $750,000 buyout for 2013, so if the Mariners can get any kind of decent return for Olivo they should be plenty willing to listen.
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 0
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 0
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 127
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 37
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 32
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 97
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (129)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)