Nov 28, 2011, 11:51 AM EST
Jaso facing most right-handers and Olivo facing most left-handers is a natural platoon from which the Mariners could get very nice production, but Adam Moore is also waiting in the wings as the potential right-handed-hitting portion of that equation.
Olivo has 20-homer power, but he’s also MLB’s most undisciplined hitter, posting a putrid .279 career on-base percentage. That includes this year’s 140/20 K/BB ratio and .254 OBP, which prior to 2011 was the lowest by a qualified hitter since 1989. And he’s led the league in passed balls four times in six years.
He’s also 33 years old and under contract for $3.5 million in 2012 with a $3 million option or $750,000 buyout for 2013, so if the Mariners can get any kind of decent return for Olivo they should be plenty willing to listen.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 60
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 32
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)