Nov 28, 2011, 11:51 AM EDT
Jaso facing most right-handers and Olivo facing most left-handers is a natural platoon from which the Mariners could get very nice production, but Adam Moore is also waiting in the wings as the potential right-handed-hitting portion of that equation.
Olivo has 20-homer power, but he’s also MLB’s most undisciplined hitter, posting a putrid .279 career on-base percentage. That includes this year’s 140/20 K/BB ratio and .254 OBP, which prior to 2011 was the lowest by a qualified hitter since 1989. And he’s led the league in passed balls four times in six years.
He’s also 33 years old and under contract for $3.5 million in 2012 with a $3 million option or $750,000 buyout for 2013, so if the Mariners can get any kind of decent return for Olivo they should be plenty willing to listen.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)