Nov 28, 2011, 1:30 PM EDT
I believe I heard the first Jeremy Guthrie trade rumor in the summer of 1984. I had just turned 11, got a copy of the Sporting News and read that the the Orioles were talking to some teams about dealing him but would, inevitably, just hold on to him so they could have an innings eater while the young arms develop.
Yes, I realize that Guthrie did not make his major league debut for another 20 years. But such is the nature of Jeremy Guthrie trade rumors. They will outlive us all.
Anyway, Jon Paul Morosi said the Angels and Orioles have discussed the possibility of a Guthrie trade in recent days. And really, when you’re a team like the Angels and you already have pretty strong starting pitching, you don’t pass up an opportunity to trade for a guy who led the league in losses two of the past three years.
OK, I kid because it’s fun to kid. Guthrie has his uses. He’d have more uses if he got out of Camden Yards and into the AL West, but I really don’t see why the Angels would be that interested.
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 61
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 56
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 51
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 19
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11