Nov 28, 2011, 1:30 PM EDT
I believe I heard the first Jeremy Guthrie trade rumor in the summer of 1984. I had just turned 11, got a copy of the Sporting News and read that the the Orioles were talking to some teams about dealing him but would, inevitably, just hold on to him so they could have an innings eater while the young arms develop.
Yes, I realize that Guthrie did not make his major league debut for another 20 years. But such is the nature of Jeremy Guthrie trade rumors. They will outlive us all.
Anyway, Jon Paul Morosi said the Angels and Orioles have discussed the possibility of a Guthrie trade in recent days. And really, when you’re a team like the Angels and you already have pretty strong starting pitching, you don’t pass up an opportunity to trade for a guy who led the league in losses two of the past three years.
OK, I kid because it’s fun to kid. Guthrie has his uses. He’d have more uses if he got out of Camden Yards and into the AL West, but I really don’t see why the Angels would be that interested.
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 71
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 18
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 22
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 11
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)