Nov 28, 2011, 1:30 PM EDT
I believe I heard the first Jeremy Guthrie trade rumor in the summer of 1984. I had just turned 11, got a copy of the Sporting News and read that the the Orioles were talking to some teams about dealing him but would, inevitably, just hold on to him so they could have an innings eater while the young arms develop.
Yes, I realize that Guthrie did not make his major league debut for another 20 years. But such is the nature of Jeremy Guthrie trade rumors. They will outlive us all.
Anyway, Jon Paul Morosi said the Angels and Orioles have discussed the possibility of a Guthrie trade in recent days. And really, when you’re a team like the Angels and you already have pretty strong starting pitching, you don’t pass up an opportunity to trade for a guy who led the league in losses two of the past three years.
OK, I kid because it’s fun to kid. Guthrie has his uses. He’d have more uses if he got out of Camden Yards and into the AL West, but I really don’t see why the Angels would be that interested.
- Christian Vazquez to undergo Tommy John surgery 9
- 2015 Preview: Colorado Rockies 4
- 2015 Preview: Minnesota Twins 18
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 30
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 47
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 21
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)