Nov 28, 2011, 8:23 PM EST
We learned earlier this month that Aaron Cook planned to talk to the Padres and Reds, but Bill Brink of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports that the Pirates have also expressed interest in the free agent right-hander.
Talks are said to be in the early stages and Brink hears that the Bucs are just one of about a “half dozen” teams in the mix. The Rockies declined Cook’s $11 million option late last month.
Cook has experienced some bad luck with injury over the past two seasons, including a broken leg in 2010 and shoulder tendinitis and a broken ring finger in 2011. The 32-year-old right-hander has a brutal 5.49 ERA during the same time period, so he’ll likely have to accept a one-year deal with a low guarantee.
The Pirates tentatively have Jeff Karstens, Kevin Correia, Charlie Morton, James McDonald and Brad Lincoln lined up for their 2012 rotation, though Morton’s recent hip surgery could put him at risk for missing the early part of the season.
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 142
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 66
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 42
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (145)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (132)