Nov 28, 2011, 5:17 PM EDT
Cross another name off the list, as Joe McDonald of ESPN Boston reports that the Red Sox have ruled out Torey Lovullo as their next manager.
Sandy Alomar Jr. was ruled out last week, which means Bobby Valentine and Gene Lamont are the only remaining candidates.
And just about everyone seems to think the job is Valentine’s to lose at this point.
Lovullo, who’s been in the running for several managerial openings in recent years, managed for the Red Sox at Triple-A Pawtucket prior to becoming the Blue Jays’ first base coach.
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 21
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 38
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 21
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 9
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 29
- Giants acquire Jake Peavy from Red Sox 55
- Maximum stay on Hall of Fame ballot changed from 15 to 10 years 66
- Jon Lester is willing to return to the Red Sox as a free agent even if they trade him 32
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (164)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)