Nov 28, 2011, 5:17 PM EST
Cross another name off the list, as Joe McDonald of ESPN Boston reports that the Red Sox have ruled out Torey Lovullo as their next manager.
Sandy Alomar Jr. was ruled out last week, which means Bobby Valentine and Gene Lamont are the only remaining candidates.
And just about everyone seems to think the job is Valentine’s to lose at this point.
Lovullo, who’s been in the running for several managerial openings in recent years, managed for the Red Sox at Triple-A Pawtucket prior to becoming the Blue Jays’ first base coach.
- Report: Two agents rumbled in the parking lot at the Winter Meetings 24
- Mets sign 40-year-old Bartolo Colon for two years, $20 million 38
- MLB rules committee decides to eliminate collisions at home plate 51
- Mariners sign Corey Hart to incentive-laden deal 28
- David Price would not consider an extension with the Mariners if he’s traded there 35
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)