Nov 28, 2011, 9:05 AM EDT
Jeff Passan of Yahoo! spoke with an MLB executive who says he’s “100 percent certain” Albert Pujols will re-sign with the Cardinals. The reason: no one else is really showing interest. At least no one with the kind of money to outbid St. Louis.
I’ve kinda assumed this for a while. It was just bad timing for Pujols to hit the market, with with the Yankees and Red Sox both committing to top-notch first basemen in recent years. That left the occasional-spenders out there. Texas. Los Angeles. Detroit. Washington. Maybe the Cubs. Those teams either have a first baseman already or just don’t seem to want to pony up this year.
Albert is going to stay with the Cardinals. He’ll still be very rich. His legacy will be much better for it. And the Cardinals will be a much better team for it, at least for the next several years.
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 40
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 26
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 84
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 164
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (164)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (123)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)