Nov 28, 2011, 8:22 PM EST
UPDATE: That was fun while it lasted. According to Dejan Kovacevic of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, a high-ranking team official said the Pirates have not entertained trade offers for McCutchen and have no intention of doing so.
McCutchen just turned 25 in October and is four years away from free agency, so there’s certainly no pressure for the Pirates to move him now. It should also be noted that Law’s report doesn’t indicate that the Pirates are shopping him, just that they’d listen to offers.
Even that idea, though, would have seemed far fetched a few months ago. One factor influencing the Pirates here is that they’ve tried and failed a couple of times to lock up McCutchen to a long-term deal. Also, McCutchen’s overall lack of growth since he entered the league is somewhat disturbing. While McCutchen has added power, he’s no better of a player now than he was in a rookie. His strikeout rate took a big jump last season (from 89 strikeouts in 653 plate appearances in 2010 to 126 in 678 plate appearances), and he hasn’t proven to be much better than an average defensive center fielder.
It’s still doubtful the Pirates would trade him, but if someone is willing to make a big offer, they might bite. Washington would seem like an obvious candidate there. If the Nationals would start with right-hander Jordan Zimmermann and add a couple of prospects, that’d be a pretty attractive proposal.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Curt Schilling goes after Obama, says Ronald Reagan would watch “The Interview” (227)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year (86)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)