Nov 28, 2011, 2:44 PM EDT
Colorado is interested in signing free agent Ramon Hernandez and might be willing to trade incumbent catcher Chris Iannetta to make room for him behind the plate, according to Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com.
Iannetta’s stock has dropped considerably in the past couple seasons, so it’s not surprising that the Rockies are willing to part with the 27-year-old. Rosenthal reports that the Angels are among the teams interested in Iannetta and he’d certainly be an upgrade over Jeff Mathis, but so would prospect Hank Conger.
Hernandez is coming off one of his best years at age 35, hitting .282 with a .787 OPS in 91 games for the Reds. He hasn’t been particularly durable, but Hernandez has topped a .700 OPS in eight of the past nine years and gunned down 36 percent of steal attempts since 2009.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 45
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 37
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 88
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 17
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 21
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 25
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 44
- Craig Biggio, John Smoltz, Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez inducted into the Hall of Fame 41
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)