Nov 28, 2011, 2:44 PM EDT
Colorado is interested in signing free agent Ramon Hernandez and might be willing to trade incumbent catcher Chris Iannetta to make room for him behind the plate, according to Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com.
Iannetta’s stock has dropped considerably in the past couple seasons, so it’s not surprising that the Rockies are willing to part with the 27-year-old. Rosenthal reports that the Angels are among the teams interested in Iannetta and he’d certainly be an upgrade over Jeff Mathis, but so would prospect Hank Conger.
Hernandez is coming off one of his best years at age 35, hitting .282 with a .787 OPS in 91 games for the Reds. He hasn’t been particularly durable, but Hernandez has topped a .700 OPS in eight of the past nine years and gunned down 36 percent of steal attempts since 2009.
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 81
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 75
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 72
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (81)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)