Nov 28, 2011, 3:00 PM EDT
There has been no small amount of skepticism as to whether Yu Darvish would actually be posted to play in the United States for 2012. The reasons for this were kind of vague, but we have a better sense of it now. Seems he’s getting divorced from his actress wife.
This matters because Darvish only made $4.2 million last year. If he gets his divorce finalized before he’s posted, his settlement with his wife will probably be based on figures way more like that $4.2 million than they would if it’s finalized after he gets, say, a $60 million contract from a Major League team.
Upshot: if he can’t settle with the missus, he may stay in Japan. Which would upset all the Yankees fanboys who think he’s going to New York.
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 58
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 17
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- Steven Matz stellar on the mound — and at the plate — in his major league debut for the Mets 19
- The 2015 Gillette Home Run Derby will have a new format 32
- Meet the Matz! The Mets call up Steven Matz to make his MLB debut 11
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 23
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (108)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)