Nov 28, 2011, 3:00 PM EDT
There has been no small amount of skepticism as to whether Yu Darvish would actually be posted to play in the United States for 2012. The reasons for this were kind of vague, but we have a better sense of it now. Seems he’s getting divorced from his actress wife.
This matters because Darvish only made $4.2 million last year. If he gets his divorce finalized before he’s posted, his settlement with his wife will probably be based on figures way more like that $4.2 million than they would if it’s finalized after he gets, say, a $60 million contract from a Major League team.
Upshot: if he can’t settle with the missus, he may stay in Japan. Which would upset all the Yankees fanboys who think he’s going to New York.
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 22
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 26
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 43
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 18
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 24
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)
- Ichiro Suzuki passes Babe Ruth on the all-time hits list (76)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (71)
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves (71)