Nov 28, 2011, 3:00 PM EDT
There has been no small amount of skepticism as to whether Yu Darvish would actually be posted to play in the United States for 2012. The reasons for this were kind of vague, but we have a better sense of it now. Seems he’s getting divorced from his actress wife.
This matters because Darvish only made $4.2 million last year. If he gets his divorce finalized before he’s posted, his settlement with his wife will probably be based on figures way more like that $4.2 million than they would if it’s finalized after he gets, say, a $60 million contract from a Major League team.
Upshot: if he can’t settle with the missus, he may stay in Japan. Which would upset all the Yankees fanboys who think he’s going to New York.
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 45
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)