Nov 28, 2011, 3:00 PM EDT
There has been no small amount of skepticism as to whether Yu Darvish would actually be posted to play in the United States for 2012. The reasons for this were kind of vague, but we have a better sense of it now. Seems he’s getting divorced from his actress wife.
This matters because Darvish only made $4.2 million last year. If he gets his divorce finalized before he’s posted, his settlement with his wife will probably be based on figures way more like that $4.2 million than they would if it’s finalized after he gets, say, a $60 million contract from a Major League team.
Upshot: if he can’t settle with the missus, he may stay in Japan. Which would upset all the Yankees fanboys who think he’s going to New York.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 14
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (115)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)