Nov 28, 2011, 3:00 PM EDT
There has been no small amount of skepticism as to whether Yu Darvish would actually be posted to play in the United States for 2012. The reasons for this were kind of vague, but we have a better sense of it now. Seems he’s getting divorced from his actress wife.
This matters because Darvish only made $4.2 million last year. If he gets his divorce finalized before he’s posted, his settlement with his wife will probably be based on figures way more like that $4.2 million than they would if it’s finalized after he gets, say, a $60 million contract from a Major League team.
Upshot: if he can’t settle with the missus, he may stay in Japan. Which would upset all the Yankees fanboys who think he’s going to New York.
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 47
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 31
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 9
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (204)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)