Nov 29, 2011, 12:58 PM EDT
When the Royals’ signing of Jonathan Broxton was announced this morning, the reaction of most people was “wait, isn’t the Kansas City bullpen kind of crowded already?” Why, yes. Yes it is. But it won’t be going forward because Dayton Moore was just on the radio and said that Joakim Soria will remain the closer, Broxton will set up and Aaron Crow will be moved into the rotation.
Which seems smart to me. Crow was a starter in college and in the minors and when you have a young guy with great stuff like his, you have to figure out if he can handle the bigger job. His control is obviously the big questions — Crow walks a lot of guys — but if he can figure that out he could be a useful starter, and the Royals need a couple of those.
Of course, the scrap heap is filled with guys who had great stuff and bad control of whom it was said “if they can just figure that out,” so we’ll see.
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 141
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 66
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (159)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)