Curtis Granderson is happy with the new HGH test

Nov 29, 2011, 8:58 AM EDT

Detroit Tigers v New York Yankees Getty Images

Mark Feinsand of the Daily News spoke with Curtis Granderson — who, in addition to being awesome, is an MLBPA player rep — and Granderson said that he was happy about the changes in the collective bargaining agreement. Specifically the addition of the HGH blood test.

Granderson is no idiot, though, and though I may be reading too much into this, I get the sense that he knows that the biggest part of the HGH test is the perception, not the actual merits of the thing:

“You never hear it talked about in football, where most guys are massively bigger than us, or in basketball,” Granderson said. “It’s amazing of the three major sports, we’re the ones that are consistently talked about when it comes to that stuff, so hopefully we can get rid of that conversation.”

That sound you hear are all of Granderson’s fans back in Michigan wondering how the hell he doesn’t consider hockey to be a major sport.

Anyway: he’s right.  the test is about getting rid of a conversation. I think everyone involved knows that. I also think that’s why it was apparently so easily and quietly included in the new CBA.

1. Francisco (FC) - Nov 29, 2011 at 9:07 AM

Anyway: he’s right.

Of course, Hockey is NOT a Major Sport… sorry Canada :D

J/K

• sdelmonte - Nov 29, 2011 at 9:41 AM

I’m a fan of the Islanders. I’m not even sure it’s a minor sport right now.

• Kevin S. - Nov 29, 2011 at 9:57 AM

Okay, that’s scary. I was going to make the exact same joke in the exact same way.

• scapistron - Nov 29, 2011 at 10:08 AM

Who would have thought that the last two Islander fans both travel HBT? You guys have to be Mets fans too right?

• Kevin S. - Nov 29, 2011 at 11:51 AM

Responding to FC. And for the record, I pull for the Devils, but only when they’re in the playoffs or Marty Brodeur closes in on another record, which I usually find out about three weeks after it happens.

2. dirtyharry1971 - Nov 29, 2011 at 10:12 AM

I cant wait until Joe Bastista is going thru this test, just cant wait to see the results of that one!!

• trevorb06 - Nov 29, 2011 at 11:39 AM

Yeah, I can’t wait until he proves all the haters wrong and that he is clean.

• Matt - Nov 29, 2011 at 11:43 AM

I can’t either…that way idiots like you can stop accusing someone, based on zero evidence, of doing something which can’t even be shown to result in the effect that causes your baseless claims.

• cur68 - Nov 29, 2011 at 12:13 PM

“Joe Batista”, eh? Well, whoever the hell that is, I hope he passes his tests. :)

3. bozosforall - Nov 29, 2011 at 1:10 PM

If the HGH test has any teeth, the Red Sux lineup is screwed.

4. gallaghedj311 - Nov 29, 2011 at 1:43 PM

U sure he wasn’t excluding the NBA instead of the NHL?

5. bighitterthelama - Nov 29, 2011 at 4:07 PM

Now it’s getting weird, I’m an Isles fan too. Are there subliminal images of Bobby Nystrom in these posts or something?

• cur68 - Nov 29, 2011 at 4:20 PM

Nothing wrong with liking Hockey. I’m a born and bred Oilers fan. There is no shame in liking the Isles. No one mocks the KC & Orioles fans, right? Well…ok maybe a little, but its done with love, not in a mean spirited way at all. Now you be proud of your Islanders fanboy status & do let us all know when the Isles resume NHL play. I miss those guys…

6. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Nov 29, 2011 at 4:46 PM

I swear, every time Curtis opens his mouth, the IQ of the average major league player rises. Loving your honesty and professionalism, sir.

Colby-on-Colby crime in Toronto