Nov 29, 2011, 12:28 PM EST
Look, I know people declared David Ortiz dead in parts of 2009 and 2010 and that he came roaring back every time. And I know that he had a great 2011. But really, this seems kind of crazy to me: Ortiz is looking for a three-year deal.
He’s 36. He’s one-dimensional. It’s a great dimension, but really, I don’t see how you give eight figures for three straight years to a DH who, as we’ve seen in the past, could just fall off a cliff. And maybe next time it’s permanent.
Two years? Maybe. Or some creative vesting deal or something. But I just don’t know a team could commit huge money to a guy like Ortiz through the end of 2014.
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 0
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 54
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27