Nov 29, 2011, 12:28 PM EDT
Look, I know people declared David Ortiz dead in parts of 2009 and 2010 and that he came roaring back every time. And I know that he had a great 2011. But really, this seems kind of crazy to me: Ortiz is looking for a three-year deal.
He’s 36. He’s one-dimensional. It’s a great dimension, but really, I don’t see how you give eight figures for three straight years to a DH who, as we’ve seen in the past, could just fall off a cliff. And maybe next time it’s permanent.
Two years? Maybe. Or some creative vesting deal or something. But I just don’t know a team could commit huge money to a guy like Ortiz through the end of 2014.
- Blue Jays fan throws beer at Nate McLouth (122)
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (116)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (81)
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- MST: Rosberg wins pole in Monaco | Highlights
- Tennis.com: Can anyone stop Serena at French?
- Tennis.com: Is French still Nadal's to lose?
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy