Nov 29, 2011, 12:28 PM EDT
Look, I know people declared David Ortiz dead in parts of 2009 and 2010 and that he came roaring back every time. And I know that he had a great 2011. But really, this seems kind of crazy to me: Ortiz is looking for a three-year deal.
He’s 36. He’s one-dimensional. It’s a great dimension, but really, I don’t see how you give eight figures for three straight years to a DH who, as we’ve seen in the past, could just fall off a cliff. And maybe next time it’s permanent.
Two years? Maybe. Or some creative vesting deal or something. But I just don’t know a team could commit huge money to a guy like Ortiz through the end of 2014.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 6
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 20
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 56
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 69
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 93
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (94)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)