Nov 29, 2011, 12:28 PM EST
Look, I know people declared David Ortiz dead in parts of 2009 and 2010 and that he came roaring back every time. And I know that he had a great 2011. But really, this seems kind of crazy to me: Ortiz is looking for a three-year deal.
He’s 36. He’s one-dimensional. It’s a great dimension, but really, I don’t see how you give eight figures for three straight years to a DH who, as we’ve seen in the past, could just fall off a cliff. And maybe next time it’s permanent.
Two years? Maybe. Or some creative vesting deal or something. But I just don’t know a team could commit huge money to a guy like Ortiz through the end of 2014.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)