Nov 29, 2011, 12:28 PM EDT
Look, I know people declared David Ortiz dead in parts of 2009 and 2010 and that he came roaring back every time. And I know that he had a great 2011. But really, this seems kind of crazy to me: Ortiz is looking for a three-year deal.
He’s 36. He’s one-dimensional. It’s a great dimension, but really, I don’t see how you give eight figures for three straight years to a DH who, as we’ve seen in the past, could just fall off a cliff. And maybe next time it’s permanent.
Two years? Maybe. Or some creative vesting deal or something. But I just don’t know a team could commit huge money to a guy like Ortiz through the end of 2014.
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 17
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 30
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 27
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)