David Ortiz wants a three-year deal

Nov 29, 2011, 12:28 PM EST

David Ortiz AP

Look, I know people declared David Ortiz dead in parts of 2009 and 2010 and that he came roaring back every time. And I know that he had a great 2011.  But really, this seems kind of crazy to me:  Ortiz is looking for a three-year deal.

He’s 36. He’s one-dimensional. It’s a great dimension, but really, I don’t see how you give eight figures for three straight years to a DH who, as we’ve seen in the past, could just fall off a cliff. And maybe next time it’s permanent.

Two years? Maybe. Or some creative vesting deal or something. But I just don’t know a team could commit huge money to a guy like Ortiz through the end of 2014.

1. phukyouk - Nov 29, 2011 at 12:33 PM

I “Want” lots of things… He needs to learn to deal with disappointment

• 78mu - Nov 29, 2011 at 1:24 PM

All I want is Miss August to marry me. I guess Ortiz has a better chance to get what he wants than I do, but not by much.

He may only get a two year contract but I’ll be more disappointed when Miss August turns me down.

• florida727 - Nov 29, 2011 at 3:43 PM

“78mu”, I’m rooting for you, man. I’m only asking for the video rights.

At this stage in his career, Ortiz should get nothing more than an acceptable (read: minimal) base salary and a contract so heavily laden with incentives, he has to EARN whatever he ultimately gets paid. Wow… there’s an idea… earn what you get paid instead of relying on the past. Hmm. Wonder if I might be on to something?

2. Jeremiah Graves - Nov 29, 2011 at 12:35 PM

I feel the same way, we seem to have entered an age where teams are wising up that spending big bucks on a DH is a poor move. You can rotate guys through the spot for rest and to work through injuries or you can go cheap(ish) and get a veteran DH on a one-year deal in the $4-8 million range.

Why anyone would go multiple years and big bucks is beyond me.

3. Chris Fiorentino - Nov 29, 2011 at 12:38 PM

If Big Papi isn’t careful, he is going to end up crawling somewhere with his tail between his legs right around spring training with a one-year deal for between $6 and 8 million.

4. lardin - Nov 29, 2011 at 12:44 PM

To quote the immortal Junior Soprano:

“I want to %^*@ Angie Dickinson, Lets see who gets lucky first!!”

• hansob - Nov 29, 2011 at 1:34 PM

I was thinking of a similar line from “Rounders”.

• phukyouk - Nov 29, 2011 at 2:07 PM

I want a blow job from Christie Turloington.. I use that all the time and the folks in their late teens early 20’s have no idea WTF i am talking about

• Ducky Medwick - Nov 29, 2011 at 1:44 PM

“I want a woman with thin ankles. But I’m going to go home tonight, and there is going to be my wife.”
      -Glekas, The Wire

• florida727 - Nov 29, 2011 at 3:46 PM

“If I wasn’t married, I’d quit this stupid game.” — Anonymous (attributed to golf though)

5. emeraldcityfan - Nov 29, 2011 at 12:45 PM

Big Papi sounds like a little kid before Christmas.

6. dohpey28 - Nov 29, 2011 at 12:48 PM

Better get his deal signed before the HGH tests go live.

7. deathmonkey41 - Nov 29, 2011 at 12:53 PM

Funny how he couldn’t catch up to a fastball between 2009-2010, now he seems to have gotten all that power back…just funny how that works…

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Nov 29, 2011 at 1:12 PM

You know he had wrist surgery during that time period, the same that Nomar had that essentially ended his career?

Oh i’m sorry, this is a veiled steroid/hgh comment…

• deathmonkey41 - Nov 29, 2011 at 1:55 PM

He must have hurt it hitting those 54 HRs in 06…

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Nov 29, 2011 at 4:39 PM

Where do steroids references even get us? What is the point? Ignorance allowed steroids to become as big as they were, whether it was turning our heads or not realizing it, and so forth. Baseball’s been more pro-active than any other sport ever since in cleaning up the game, so we can only hope and have faith that players are, for the most part anyway, holding up their end of the bargain.

I’m sick and tired of “OH HE DID STEROIDS LOLZ”-type comments.

• bozosforall - Nov 29, 2011 at 1:20 PM

Hilarious Greatly Hilarous

and

Stupifying Takesdacake Egotistical Radical Obnoxious Incredulous Dumbfounding Slapyakneefunny

In short,

HGH

and

STEROIDS

(see what I did there?)

LMAO

8. pisano - Nov 29, 2011 at 1:03 PM

“and people in hell want ice water”

9. yankeesgameday - Nov 29, 2011 at 1:17 PM

Three little letters: LOL

• foreverchipper10 - Nov 29, 2011 at 3:58 PM

Those are big letters. :)

10. purnellmeagrejr - Nov 29, 2011 at 1:35 PM

I was able to control myself yesterday but today I couldn’t. Why does Papi look like he has the beginning of a bee beard? Uh-oh – it looks like it’s just me …

11. chrisdtx - Nov 29, 2011 at 1:39 PM

BREAKING: David Ortiz shits in one hand, and wishes in the other. Tune in at 11 to see which one fills up first!

12. philliesblow - Nov 29, 2011 at 1:49 PM

Good for him. People in hell want ice water.

Personally, I want a girl with a short skirt and a loooooooooong jacket.

13. sheppyshep8 - Nov 29, 2011 at 2:06 PM

can’t help but agree with every bit of this article.

leave it to the woeful Orioles, though. They will pay him, and pay him for 3 years. I mean, look at Vlad Guerrero. They gave him 8 mil for a year, when the next closest suitor offered 3.5…

sad.

• bozosforall - Nov 29, 2011 at 2:28 PM

Poor O’s fans…speaking of people in hell wanting ice water…those guys take turns laughing at and feeling sorry for the baseball fans of Baltimore, being stuck with Peter “The Idiot” Angelos for all of eternity.

• clevername1 - Nov 29, 2011 at 10:05 PM

A Simply Stupid Horrific Obstinate Loser Egghead.

See what I did there

14. The Rabbit - Nov 29, 2011 at 3:15 PM

What you said, Craig…but like the punchline of the joke: I know what you are, we’re just negotiating price. A 3 year deal at what money? A heavily incentive laden + PA contract with a low guarantee might be a good deal for some team.
    BTW- I’m currently using a few PED’s banned by MLB acquired from my local health food store and a very smart PHD in nutrition and wellness. I’m anxiously awaiting spring so I can hit the fast ball. As a female AARP member, I’m not optimistic, though.

• Kevin S. - Nov 29, 2011 at 6:02 PM

You should be. I’ve heard that PEDs turn scrubs into superstars!

15. foreverchipper10 - Nov 29, 2011 at 3:59 PM

Maybe Ortiz and J-roll should sit down with each other and see who breaks first.

16. randygnyc - Nov 29, 2011 at 6:41 PM

3 years? Ortiz should demand 3 years with the a 4th year player option at 20 million per year. He should spill some dirt to the press just to show how serious he is. Break the bank, big mami!!!!

17. bozosforall - Nov 30, 2011 at 11:09 AM

clevername1 – Nov 29, 2011 at 10:05 PM
    A Simply Stupid Horrific Obstinate Loser Egghead.

See what I did there

__
    Great name for yourself. Much better than the lame one you currently use.

18. smokehouse56 - Nov 30, 2011 at 11:30 AM

And to think millions would play this game for food money or nothing at all. I would and you would too if your honest.

• georgebrett - Nov 30, 2011 at 1:26 PM

Sure you would, but you couldn’t play even close to the MLB level. And why would you play for free when the owners, front office, tv, vendors, and everyone else are getting paid for their jobs?

19. georgebrett - Nov 30, 2011 at 1:19 PM

Now that HGH can be tested for look for another huge drop off in production especially with the older players like Ortiz. This whole PED thing is comedy, check that, SAD!

20. woodduck1956 - Nov 30, 2011 at 2:41 PM

my dad use to tell me to wish in one hand and poop in the other then see which one gets filled first. while he is a good bat, thats about it. boston needs not only a bat but someone who once on base can steal a base,run to the next base without being thrown out,and can run from 2nd base to score on a hit to the outfield. also, for that kind of money being able to play a position should be a consideration

21. crazywild1325 - Nov 30, 2011 at 4:02 PM

Ok but for three years Big Papi will knock the crap out of the ball!

22. elmostroboricua - Dec 1, 2011 at 12:40 AM

NO WAY HE’S WORTH A THREE YEAR DEAL. MIX AGE WITH HIS WEIGHT ; PLUS PHYSICAL DETERIORARING; AND THE RED SOX WILL BE CRAZY TO GIVE HIM THREE YEARS GUARANTEED. MAYBE A CONTRACT FULL OF INCENTIVES BASED ON PRODUCTION. HE’S ONE OF THE GOOD GUYS; BUT YOU DON’T WANT TO BE IN THE POSITION THAT THE YANKEES ARE WITH A-ROD….

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester