Nov 29, 2011, 8:32 PM EST
The Giants held a conference call this afternoon to discuss the contract extensions for GM Brian Sabean and manager Bruce Bochy. Asked about their offseason agenda by John Shea of the San Francisco Chronicle, Sabean said he doesn’t plan on making a “big splash” to upgrade the team’s lackluster offense.
While it’s not a surprise to learn that they won’t be in the mix for top-tier hitters like Albert Pujols, Prince Fielder or Jose Reyes, Sabean even downplayed the team’s chances of signing Jimmy Rollins or Carlos Beltran. When asked specifically about Beltran, Sabean said, “Whether it’s (Beltran) or anybody else, we have a very definitive game plan on each conversation on what we think is a reasonable length.”
Beltran, who turns 35 in April, batted .323/.369/.551 with seven homers and a .920 OPS over 179 plate appearances with San Francisco after being acquired from the Mets in a mid-season trade. While the Giants are still interested in bringing him back, the major concern is that he could receive a longer contract from an American League club, as they would have the option of using him as a designated hitter down the road.
For now, Sabean is committed to allocating resources to the pitching staff, which he considers the organization’s “gold standard.” With that in mind, assistant GM Bobby Evans said he has already spoken with the agents for Matt Cain and Tim Lincecum, describing it as “an exchange of ideas and some conversations about numbers.” Cain is set to become a free agent after the 2012 season while Lincecum is under team control though 2013.
- Video: Watch Matt Harvey’s return to action against the Tigers 3
- Matt Harvey makes his return. And he was really impressive. 23
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 36
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 147
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (380)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (147)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)