Happy birthday to the greatest baseball announcer of all time

Nov 29, 2011, 12:44 PM EDT

Vin Scully AP

Today is Vin Scully’s birthday and the greatest announcer in baseball history turns 84 years old.

And come April he’ll begin his 63rd season as voice of the Dodgers.

I have no strong feelings about the Dodgers good or bad, yet season after season find myself choosing them as my late-night viewing several times per week simply because I love listening to Scully call the games.

Scully was already in his 70s by the time I got a chance to experience his announcing regularly, but he was so good then and remains so good now that it’s hard for me to even fathom how amazing he must have been in the 1950s and 1960s.

I also can’t imagine there ever being a better, classier, or more beloved announcer.

1. koufaxmitzvah - Nov 29, 2011 at 12:50 PM

Strike up the Vin Scully Marching and Chowder Society.

Happy Birthday, Vin!

2. jackkoho - Nov 29, 2011 at 12:51 PM

I didn’t know it was Hawk Harrelson’s birthday today.

• Mr. Furious - Nov 29, 2011 at 12:58 PM

No, no, he didn’t say “greatest general manager of all time.”

3. jonweisman - Nov 29, 2011 at 1:04 PM

I’ve listened to numerous tapes of Vin from the 1950s and 1960s and I would say he probably didn’t really reach his heyday until at least the Koufax era in the 1960s. Vin in the 1950s was no slouch, mind you, but he was less lyrical. I think you could make an argument that the 1980s were Vin’s best decade.

4. fearlessleader - Nov 29, 2011 at 1:05 PM

Happy birthday to a total class act! But just for the record…..Jack Buck was the greatest baseball announcer of all time.

• 78mu - Nov 29, 2011 at 1:18 PM

As someone that grew up listening to Harry Carey and Jack Buck I would have to say Buck is up there with Scully.

• fearlessleader - Nov 29, 2011 at 1:51 PM

I have a sneaking suspicion that Aaron knew he could drive up his commenting numbers by including the words “the greatest baseball announcer of all time” in his post title…..

• koufaxmitzvah - Nov 29, 2011 at 2:11 PM

“In the year of the improbable, the impossible has happened” vs “I don’t believe what I just saw.”

Vin wins.

• fearlessleader - Nov 29, 2011 at 4:00 PM

“Go crazy, folks! Go crazy!” vs…..uh…..oh, right, nobody remembers what Vin said about that one. :)

Happily, this is one of those questions upon which we really can “agree to disagree” with no one coming out worse for it!

• koufaxmitzvah - Nov 29, 2011 at 4:39 PM

Right on, FearlessLeader. Although, I’m not too fond of the “Go crazy.” Brings back some bad memories.

• fearlessleader - Nov 29, 2011 at 4:47 PM

Yeah, we especially cherish that one because it helps us forget what happened in the World Series that year.

Poor Tom Niedenfuer.

5. whatthehellisansky - Nov 29, 2011 at 1:08 PM

Long Live the one and only Vin Scully!!

6. somekat - Nov 29, 2011 at 1:10 PM

Harry K, best of all time

but vin scully is a legend in his own right

• sasquash20 - Nov 29, 2011 at 2:20 PM

I agree but I’m totally biased being a life long Phils fan. I think there are a handful of guys who we have been blessed to have. V.Scully, J.Buck, H,Carey, E,Harwell, ect. If I left anyone off sorry. Harry Kalas and Richie Ashburn were just awesome and my all time favorites.

• dennisund - Nov 29, 2011 at 3:04 PM

Baseball will never be the same without them.

• Jonny 5 - Nov 29, 2011 at 4:01 PM

I’m a lifelong Phills fan and I couldn’t say one is better than the other. Just different, and both a national treasure.

7. Old Gator - Nov 29, 2011 at 1:15 PM

Mel Allen was right up there too, but Vin is the last of the Titans still with us. Happy Birthday to the poet laureate of baseball announcers.

8. mondzy805 - Nov 29, 2011 at 1:27 PM

Happy B Day Vince. G.O.A.T.

9. coachesquire - Nov 29, 2011 at 1:32 PM

Harry Kalas is by far the best announcer in history. It is a crime saying otherwise. If you disagree you are obviously clueless. Roy Halladay

10. cur68 - Nov 29, 2011 at 1:42 PM

Hey, 84 years of Vin treading the Earth: nice. Happy birthday to him. For my money it’s Vin and the Duke (when he was the Expos’ broadcaster of course) as best of all time.

11. shawndc04 - Nov 29, 2011 at 1:44 PM

I’ve listened to old tapes of Vin as well dating back to the fifties and found him as entertaining then as now. Vin has never been homer and never overshadows the game. Having also listened to tapes of Red Barber when he broadcast the Dodger games, I’d have to say that Vin and Red were the best of the baseball broadcasters, followed by Jon Miller, Jack Buck, and Chuck Thompson.

12. philliesblow - Nov 29, 2011 at 1:47 PM

The greatest of all time is Ernie Harwell.

• shawndc04 - Nov 29, 2011 at 1:56 PM

Yep, I should never have left Ernie out. I’m to this day still angry at that airhead Jeannie Zelasko for cutting Ernie off at the allstar game.

13. andrebeingandre16 - Nov 29, 2011 at 2:33 PM

The greatest Dodger ever.

14. Jonny 5 - Nov 29, 2011 at 4:03 PM

VIN!!! Happy birthday you old fart. I hope you never retire.

15. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Nov 29, 2011 at 4:26 PM

I had no idea today was Joe Buck’s birthday!

(I’ve never laughed so much while writting a comment in my entire HBT reader tenure)

16. DonRSD - Nov 29, 2011 at 4:31 PM

Little roller along 1st…..BEHIND THE BAG, IT GETS THRU BUCKER – HERE COMES KNIGHT AND THE METS WIN IT!!!!

Best call ever from the best game ever, “Game 6″

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Nov 29, 2011 at 4:43 PM

Bucker was a great imaginary player. Remember that imaginary hit he had in the imaginary championship series against that other team?

Just razzin ya :) if Scully had said ‘Bucker’, I wonder if we’d be having this conversation today.

17. A.J. - Nov 29, 2011 at 9:07 PM

I am too young to have any clue if Vin is the best ever, but there certainly are very few in any time that could go up against him.

The best thing about the MLB app is being able to listen to the games on the radio and finding a Dodger game with Vin while you relax on a Sunday afternoon. It just feels so nostalgic.

I miss the days when more teams had guys you could love. It doesn’t even have to be a Scully or a Harwell or someone you’d say is an all-time great. Just someone who was worth listening to.

For a Braves fan going from Skip Carey and Pete van Wieren to Chip Carey and Joe is a reminder of just how nice it is to have someone competent calling your home team games. (Boog Sciambi was really solid in between. I hope sometime soon he gives up this basketball nonsense and becomes someone’s long-term voice).

18. jessethegreat - Nov 30, 2011 at 1:47 AM

For me, It’s Mel Allen and then Bob Ueker, but Vin is right up there with them.

Why is Wren out and Gonzalez is not?
  1. R. Castillo (2619)