Nov 29, 2011, 2:20 PM EDT
Dale Sveum has decided on a right-hand man, with Jamie Quirk leaving his job as the Astros’ bullpen coach to become the Cubs’ new bench coach.
Quirk called it “a great opportunity” and told Brian McTaggart of MLB.com that Sveum reached out to him about possibly joining his hypothetical staff before he’d even finished interviewing for jobs.
Sveum was hired by the Cubs and Quirk apparently passed an interview of his own with team president Theo Epstein.
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 52
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)