Nov 29, 2011, 2:20 PM EDT
Dale Sveum has decided on a right-hand man, with Jamie Quirk leaving his job as the Astros’ bullpen coach to become the Cubs’ new bench coach.
Quirk called it “a great opportunity” and told Brian McTaggart of MLB.com that Sveum reached out to him about possibly joining his hypothetical staff before he’d even finished interviewing for jobs.
Sveum was hired by the Cubs and Quirk apparently passed an interview of his own with team president Theo Epstein.
- 2014 Preview: Chicago Cubs 1
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” 34
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 18
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 60
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 12