Nov 29, 2011, 2:20 PM EDT
Dale Sveum has decided on a right-hand man, with Jamie Quirk leaving his job as the Astros’ bullpen coach to become the Cubs’ new bench coach.
Quirk called it “a great opportunity” and told Brian McTaggart of MLB.com that Sveum reached out to him about possibly joining his hypothetical staff before he’d even finished interviewing for jobs.
Sveum was hired by the Cubs and Quirk apparently passed an interview of his own with team president Theo Epstein.
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 16
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 11
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 182
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 21
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 34
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 87
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (183)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)