Nov 29, 2011, 2:20 PM EDT
Dale Sveum has decided on a right-hand man, with Jamie Quirk leaving his job as the Astros’ bullpen coach to become the Cubs’ new bench coach.
Quirk called it “a great opportunity” and told Brian McTaggart of MLB.com that Sveum reached out to him about possibly joining his hypothetical staff before he’d even finished interviewing for jobs.
Sveum was hired by the Cubs and Quirk apparently passed an interview of his own with team president Theo Epstein.
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s 73
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 48
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 38
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 90
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 19
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 21
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 25
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 44
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)