Marlins “rolled out the red carpet” for C.J. Wilson in Miami

Nov 29, 2011, 11:19 AM EDT

C.J. Wilson Getty Getty Images

C.J. Wilson was in Miami yesterday to meet with the Marlins and Joe Capozzi of the Palm Beach Post has some of the details of their courtship.

There was a personal tour of the new ballpark from owner Jeffrey Loria and lunch at Joe’s Stone Crab, with agent Bob Garber saying afterward that the Marlins “rolled out the red carpet” for Wilson and “they seem to have a plan and made it very clear they’d like C.J. to be a part of it.”

Garber declined to say whether an actual offer had been made, but indicated that Wilson could be ready to make a decision on his long-term home next week during the winter meetings.

And of course, he added in this very agent-like quote: “I think he really impressed everybody today with his charisma. I think he’d be a great fit in South Florida.”

1. danielwold - Nov 29, 2011 at 11:32 AM

what a life. living in Miami with 12-15M a year in a brand new stadium.

2. drmonkeyarmy - Nov 29, 2011 at 11:34 AM

Then they offered him a 4 year 40 million dollar contract.

• 78mu - Nov 29, 2011 at 3:28 PM

First they showed him the Pujols and Reyes jerseys hanging in the clubhouse. Only then did they explain they offer all the free agents the same 4 year 40 million contract.

3. Mike Luna - Nov 29, 2011 at 11:36 AM

“Hey, guys, I’m the Cliff Lee of 2011! I’m left handed and I pitched in the World Series and stuff. I’m a great pitcher and everybody wants to talk to me right now, guys. Even New York wanted to talk to me…after the 3rd or 4th call from my agent. I know you all want to know, so I’ll just say that I’m probably going to make a decision, like, next week. So, don’t worry, guys. You’ll know pretty soon, guys. Guys? Are you still there guys?!”

That’s my impression of CJ Wilson throughout his free agency.

4. pisano - Nov 29, 2011 at 12:07 PM

I hope the Marlins ( or any other team) get him, so that the Yankees won’t be tempted by this # 3 starter that’s looking for #1 money.

• lyon810 - Nov 29, 2011 at 12:27 PM

Regardless of the organization, any team which gives him what he’s asking for will have egg on their faces. What a joke that a player of Wilson’s caliber can fetch $20 million per.

….watch it be my Halos, ugh

5. Old Gator - Nov 29, 2011 at 1:12 PM

That’s the third or fourth free agent the Feesh have taken to Joe’s Stone Crab for the second best crabs in Macondo (the best being had at the Captain’s Tavern in Kendall or over by the Coconut Grove marina; you used to get the best – by faaaaarrrrrr – at Takeyama in Plantation, where Dan Marino used to get them – along with his wife who actually eats sushi with a knife and fork – but the sublime Kenny-san retired two years ago and sold the place). I wouldn’t be surprised if they’ve made a deal for bulk rate meals over there. At this point Scrooge McLoria ought to lease a crabbing boat or maybe send the Chihuahua out to the Flagler Monument in Biscayne Bay with a dip net (that’s where we used to go when I was in high school to pick the crabs off the submerged coral boulders and cement rubble at night – just needed a long handled swimming pool net, a garage flashlight, a ball peen hammer to disconnect the big claw, and nerves of steel to outrun the underpowered police boats).

So what kind of an offer did the Feesh make? The usual – bring your best offer to us and we’ll meet it at .85 of its value.

• cur68 - Nov 29, 2011 at 1:34 PM

See, that’s what I like about your comments; some practical advice. When the apocalypse comes its knowing things like how to dip crabs that will keep humanity going. Only those equipped with the proper skill set will survive the zombie-apocalypse!

Now, any thoughts on shotguns? Pump action or auto-loader?

• Francisco (FC) - Nov 29, 2011 at 2:04 PM

Auto-Loader!

• Old Gator - Nov 29, 2011 at 4:17 PM

Spend an afternoon in the gallery observing an American congressional budget meeting if you think the zombie apocalypse hasn’t happened yet, beaverboy.

6. amaninwhite - Nov 29, 2011 at 1:19 PM

While the red carpet was rolled out, the Marlins made Wilson wipe his feet before stepping on it and then rolled it up immediately after he left so as to avoid having to pay to clean it again.

7. rkwhite321 - Nov 29, 2011 at 1:40 PM

I’m glad, b/c he has annoyed the hell out of all of us in DFW with it for years.

• foreverchipper10 - Nov 29, 2011 at 3:50 PM

It took me far too long to figure out what DFW meant.

• rkwhite321 - Nov 29, 2011 at 3:58 PM

Well, I guess you are an idiot then. A 3 second google search would have told you what it was.

• Old Gator - Nov 29, 2011 at 4:24 PM

Someone with a cerebrumfull of uncottered axles and mangled dendrites will fit in beautifully here, indistinguishable from the cretinous politicians, skulking lobbyists, endless networks of tios, Tias, hermanos and sobrinos staffing the city and county committees and “service” divisions, and if he drives like shit, he’ll feel right at home out there amongst the drivers from a large unnamed island ninety miles south of Key West. Anyway, when you work for Scrooge McLoria and the Chihuahua, your capacity for annoying the fans is graded on the curve – and you come out looking much better by default.

8. fordman84 - Nov 29, 2011 at 1:55 PM

rkwhite, but he can land the team plane, knows how to knife fight, and lots of other cool stuff! What a bag

• rkwhite321 - Nov 29, 2011 at 2:04 PM

Yes, I just don’t know how the Rangers will function without someone on the team being able to do those things.

I will miss most hearing him talk about how nice his place it, how he has a really big tv that is bigger than any of ours, how he has not 1 but 2 ipads, but he deserves it b/c he made the playoffs. How “Lost” is the greatest show ever and he knows everything about it and most of all his 1-5 playoff record…but it’s ok b/c he is still a novice at the whole starting pitcher thing. A novice after 2 full years!!! What a beating this guy is. I wish he would sign with another team today.

9. mojosmagic - Nov 29, 2011 at 8:31 PM

Lauria just wanted a write off on his tax return for a great meal at Joe’s. I hope he gets audited by the IRS.That cheap SOB isn’t signing anybody. It’s just a con to sell season tickets at his new palace the good citizens of Miami built and paid for.

Pitching duel highlights Game 1 of WS