Nov 29, 2011, 10:47 AM EDT
Marrero repeatedly said that he doesn’t expect to miss all of 2012, but Ladson reports that the hamstring was torn off the bone and surgery was required. At the very least he seems highly unlikely to be ready for spring training, which could put the Nationals in the market for first base help with Adam LaRoche also a health question mark.
Ladson floats Mark DeRosa as a possible target and of course if the Nationals’ reported interest in Prince Fielder is real that would certainly address the first base situation in a big way. LaRoche is under contract for $8 million, but missed all but 43 games because of shoulder problems.
- George Springer placed on 7-day concussion disabled list 1
- Video: Joey Votto ejected, bumps umpire 24
- Carlos Rodon to make first MLB start Saturday 1
- Bryce Harper’s underrated day: Three at-bats, three homers 43
- Tigers, doctors clear Justin Verlander to resume throwing 18
- Brook Jacoby and umpire Doug Eddings were in a “loud, obscenity-laced, nose-to-nose exchange” 57
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 143
- Devin Mesoraco could need hip surgery 11
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (143)
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (140)
- Some anti-DH counterpoints (102)
- Alex Rodriguez hits a pinch-hit home run to tie Willie Mays at 660 home runs (96)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (95)