Nov 29, 2011, 6:30 PM EST
Longtime Phillies prospect Scott Mathieson certainly wasn’t going to get any saves in Philadelphia next year after the team signed Jonathan Papelbon, and the Phillies released him Tuesday so that he could join the Yomiuri Giants of Japan as their new closer.
Mathieson debuted with the Phillies way back in 2006, but he hurt his elbow the next season, missed all of 2008 following Tommy John surgery and had made only cameo appearances in the majors since. He had a 3.12 ERA and a 166/74 K/BB ratio in 146 2/3 innings in Triple-A the last two seasons, but he had pitched just 6 2/3 innings in the majors (giving up two earned runs) during that span.
Unfortunately, while Mathieson still has the nice fastball, his command is shaky and he lacks an exceptional second pitch. He still might have been a useful No. 3 or No. 4 right-hander in a major league pen, but he wasn’t going to make more than the minimum anytime soon. In Japan, he’ll earn $2 million per year, according to the Toronto Sun’s Bob Elliott.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 77
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 160
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 34
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (160)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)