Nov 29, 2011, 9:39 AM EDT
A physical isn’t purely academic in Broxton’s case given that he’s coming off elbow surgery — and you have to figure the doctor is going to yell at him about his cholesterol — but assuming that’s done, this should be a nice pickup for the Royals. Broxton wants to make good so he can be a well-paid closer again in 2013, so it’s likely an incentive-laden deal.
The more interesting question will be his role. The Royals obviously have Joakim Soria closing things out, but he could be really valuable as a trade candidate or possibly could be converted into a starter. People have been saying it about him and the Royals for years, but a team where the Royals are now don’t need An Established Closer.
Worst case, though: the Royals bullpen — already as strength — gets stronger. That sound you hear is even more people preparing to jump on the “The Royals Are Lookin’ Frisky” bandwagon next spring.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)