Nov 29, 2011, 9:39 AM EDT
A physical isn’t purely academic in Broxton’s case given that he’s coming off elbow surgery — and you have to figure the doctor is going to yell at him about his cholesterol — but assuming that’s done, this should be a nice pickup for the Royals. Broxton wants to make good so he can be a well-paid closer again in 2013, so it’s likely an incentive-laden deal.
The more interesting question will be his role. The Royals obviously have Joakim Soria closing things out, but he could be really valuable as a trade candidate or possibly could be converted into a starter. People have been saying it about him and the Royals for years, but a team where the Royals are now don’t need An Established Closer.
Worst case, though: the Royals bullpen — already as strength — gets stronger. That sound you hear is even more people preparing to jump on the “The Royals Are Lookin’ Frisky” bandwagon next spring.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (144)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)