Nov 29, 2011, 9:45 PM EDT
While the Tigers continue to express interest in a trade for Atlanta’s Martin Prado, they have identified a Plan B. According to Jon Paul Morosi and Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com, it’s Maicer Izturis of the Angels.
The Tigers are currently looking for upgrades at second base, third base and the leadoff spot, so while Izturis isn’t quite on the level of Prado, he at least has experience in those areas.
Izturis, 31, batted .276/.334/.388 with five home runs, 38 RBI, nine stolen bases and a .722 OPS over 494 plate appearances this season while splitting time between second base, third base and shortstop. The switch-hitter is owed $3.8 million in 2012 in the final year of a three-year, $10 million contract.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 28
- Albert Pujols becomes 26th member of 500 home run club 31
- MLB suspends Martin Maldonado, Carlos Gomez, Travis Snider, and Russell Martin for Easter brawl 45
- “Respect the Game?” Phooey. 103
- The MLBPA is serious about investigating leaks to reporters regarding Stephen Drew, Kendrys Morales 32