Nov 29, 2011, 1:30 PM EDT
Yes, I know that pic is old. And that Brian Sabean appears to be holding a Motorola flip phone in his hand. I use it, however, because (a) it’s awesome; and (b) it underscores just how long that dude has been in charge of the Giants.
And it will be a little longer now, because the Giants have just announced that the contracts of Sabean and manager Bruce Bochy have been extended through 2013 with club options for 2014.
Sabean has had his job since 1996, meaning that by the time this deal is up, assuming the option is picked up, he will have been at the helm for 18 years. Bochy has been the Giants’ manager since 2007. Before that he had 12 years in the Padres dugout. Say what you want about any one of their deals or moves, but these two are consistency and stability personified, and that’s worth something.
And now, with extra job security at their disposal, each of them can proceed to do exactly what they want this offseason: sign Jeromy Burnitz or someone a lot like him to a three-year deal.
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 3
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 3
- Pirates acquire Ike Davis in a trade with the Mets 36
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 49
- VIDEO: The Yankees turned a triple play against the Rays 24
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)