Nov 29, 2011, 1:30 PM EST
Yes, I know that pic is old. And that Brian Sabean appears to be holding a Motorola flip phone in his hand. I use it, however, because (a) it’s awesome; and (b) it underscores just how long that dude has been in charge of the Giants.
And it will be a little longer now, because the Giants have just announced that the contracts of Sabean and manager Bruce Bochy have been extended through 2013 with club options for 2014.
Sabean has had his job since 1996, meaning that by the time this deal is up, assuming the option is picked up, he will have been at the helm for 18 years. Bochy has been the Giants’ manager since 2007. Before that he had 12 years in the Padres dugout. Say what you want about any one of their deals or moves, but these two are consistency and stability personified, and that’s worth something.
And now, with extra job security at their disposal, each of them can proceed to do exactly what they want this offseason: sign Jeromy Burnitz or someone a lot like him to a three-year deal.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 44
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 37
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 168
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 51
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (168)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)