Nov 29, 2011, 1:30 PM EDT
Yes, I know that pic is old. And that Brian Sabean appears to be holding a Motorola flip phone in his hand. I use it, however, because (a) it’s awesome; and (b) it underscores just how long that dude has been in charge of the Giants.
And it will be a little longer now, because the Giants have just announced that the contracts of Sabean and manager Bruce Bochy have been extended through 2013 with club options for 2014.
Sabean has had his job since 1996, meaning that by the time this deal is up, assuming the option is picked up, he will have been at the helm for 18 years. Bochy has been the Giants’ manager since 2007. Before that he had 12 years in the Padres dugout. Say what you want about any one of their deals or moves, but these two are consistency and stability personified, and that’s worth something.
And now, with extra job security at their disposal, each of them can proceed to do exactly what they want this offseason: sign Jeromy Burnitz or someone a lot like him to a three-year deal.
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 62
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 80
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 58
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 51
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 19
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11