Nov 29, 2011, 1:30 PM EDT
Yes, I know that pic is old. And that Brian Sabean appears to be holding a Motorola flip phone in his hand. I use it, however, because (a) it’s awesome; and (b) it underscores just how long that dude has been in charge of the Giants.
And it will be a little longer now, because the Giants have just announced that the contracts of Sabean and manager Bruce Bochy have been extended through 2013 with club options for 2014.
Sabean has had his job since 1996, meaning that by the time this deal is up, assuming the option is picked up, he will have been at the helm for 18 years. Bochy has been the Giants’ manager since 2007. Before that he had 12 years in the Padres dugout. Say what you want about any one of their deals or moves, but these two are consistency and stability personified, and that’s worth something.
And now, with extra job security at their disposal, each of them can proceed to do exactly what they want this offseason: sign Jeromy Burnitz or someone a lot like him to a three-year deal.
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 61
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 9
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 19
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 25
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 44
- Craig Biggio, John Smoltz, Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez inducted into the Hall of Fame 41
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- Mike Trout hits two homers, including a grand slam, to take MLB lead 13
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (156)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)