Nov 29, 2011, 1:30 PM EDT
Yes, I know that pic is old. And that Brian Sabean appears to be holding a Motorola flip phone in his hand. I use it, however, because (a) it’s awesome; and (b) it underscores just how long that dude has been in charge of the Giants.
And it will be a little longer now, because the Giants have just announced that the contracts of Sabean and manager Bruce Bochy have been extended through 2013 with club options for 2014.
Sabean has had his job since 1996, meaning that by the time this deal is up, assuming the option is picked up, he will have been at the helm for 18 years. Bochy has been the Giants’ manager since 2007. Before that he had 12 years in the Padres dugout. Say what you want about any one of their deals or moves, but these two are consistency and stability personified, and that’s worth something.
And now, with extra job security at their disposal, each of them can proceed to do exactly what they want this offseason: sign Jeromy Burnitz or someone a lot like him to a three-year deal.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 0
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 0
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 49
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 87
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (89)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (87)