Nov 30, 2011, 12:44 PM EST
Jon Heyman of SI.com reports that the deal is worth $10 million and includes a team option for 2014, when DeJesus will be 34 years old.
DeJesus is coming off a career-worst season in Oakland, hitting just .240 with his first sub-.700 OPS, but prior to being traded to the A’s he was consistently a very good on-base threat and plus defensive outfielder during seven seasons for the Royals.
He lacks ideal power for a corner outfielder, but DeJesus has a .354 career on-base percentage, including an OBP above .345 every season from 2004 to 2010, and he’s capable of hitting 10-15 homers. He’s hardly a headline-grabbing pickup, but DeJesus has long been an underrated all-around player who’ll fit atop the Cubs’ lineup and the price is certainly right.
Oakland offered DeJesus arbitration, so the A’s will receive a supplemental first-round pick as compensation.
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 8
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 255
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 16
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 130
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training 113
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (255)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (130)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (113)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)