Nov 30, 2011, 10:47 AM EDT
In leaving the Cubs and joining his brother Mike Maddux with the Rangers yesterday Greg Maddux described his new role as “helping the players and the coaches as much as possible” and serving as “another set of eyes.”
His title is officially special assistant to the general manager, which is the same job he had in Chicago, but the future Hall of Famer told T.R. Sullivan of MLB.com that he plans to work extensively with pitchers in the majors and minors:
The first thing I’ve noticed about the Rangers is they have tremendous arms. They’ve got guys in the rotation and the bullpen that throw extremely hard and pitch up as well as any team in baseball. If the pitchers realize that if their pitch selection is good and they can control their emotions, they can have a lot of success.
I just like helping out. I like baseball and I like being around the game and around at the highest levels. Certainly the Rangers play at the highest level. I like the atmosphere, I like talking to players, I like being in the clubhouse, I like looking at game film. I like talking baseball.
Greg and Mike both talked about looking forward to working together, which they last did 20 years ago in winter ball, and Rangers pitchers have a pretty amazing opportunity to go to the ballpark each day and talk pitching with a pair of Hall of Famers in Greg Maddux and Nolan Ryan, plus one of the game’s best pitching coaches in Mike Maddux.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (85)