Nov 30, 2011, 10:47 AM EDT
In leaving the Cubs and joining his brother Mike Maddux with the Rangers yesterday Greg Maddux described his new role as “helping the players and the coaches as much as possible” and serving as “another set of eyes.”
His title is officially special assistant to the general manager, which is the same job he had in Chicago, but the future Hall of Famer told T.R. Sullivan of MLB.com that he plans to work extensively with pitchers in the majors and minors:
The first thing I’ve noticed about the Rangers is they have tremendous arms. They’ve got guys in the rotation and the bullpen that throw extremely hard and pitch up as well as any team in baseball. If the pitchers realize that if their pitch selection is good and they can control their emotions, they can have a lot of success.
I just like helping out. I like baseball and I like being around the game and around at the highest levels. Certainly the Rangers play at the highest level. I like the atmosphere, I like talking to players, I like being in the clubhouse, I like looking at game film. I like talking baseball.
Greg and Mike both talked about looking forward to working together, which they last did 20 years ago in winter ball, and Rangers pitchers have a pretty amazing opportunity to go to the ballpark each day and talk pitching with a pair of Hall of Famers in Greg Maddux and Nolan Ryan, plus one of the game’s best pitching coaches in Mike Maddux.
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 70
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 47
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 9
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)