Greg Maddux will be “helping players and coaches as much as possible” as Rangers’ special assistant

Nov 30, 2011, 10:47 AM EDT

Greg Maddux

In leaving the Cubs and joining his brother Mike Maddux with the Rangers yesterday Greg Maddux described his new role as “helping the players and the coaches as much as possible” and serving as “another set of eyes.”

His title is officially special assistant to the general manager, which is the same job he had in Chicago, but the future Hall of Famer told T.R. Sullivan of MLB.com that he plans to work extensively with pitchers in the majors and minors:

The first thing I’ve noticed about the Rangers is they have tremendous arms. They’ve got guys in the rotation and the bullpen that throw extremely hard and pitch up as well as any team in baseball. If the pitchers realize that if their pitch selection is good and they can control their emotions, they can have a lot of success.

I just like helping out. I like baseball and I like being around the game and around at the highest levels. Certainly the Rangers play at the highest level. I like the atmosphere, I like talking to players, I like being in the clubhouse, I like looking at game film. I like talking baseball.

Greg and Mike both talked about looking forward to working together, which they last did 20 years ago in winter ball, and Rangers pitchers have a pretty amazing opportunity to go to the ballpark each day and talk pitching with a pair of Hall of Famers in Greg Maddux and Nolan Ryan, plus one of the game’s best pitching coaches in Mike Maddux.

1. winkeroni - Nov 30, 2011 at 10:51 AM

Watching the Rangers play in the post season, led me to believe they are the most talented team in baseball last year. They are stacked offensively and have quite a few good strong young arms. Unfortunately for them their talent was overmatched by St. Louis’s will to win.

2. hardjudge - Nov 30, 2011 at 11:07 AM

Ranger pitchers have strong arms, now being taught by Greg Maddux to spot strikes will make them great pitchers, not just throwers.

• frenchysplatediscipline - Nov 30, 2011 at 11:18 AM

Liked it helped the Cubs?

• antlerclaws - Nov 30, 2011 at 1:05 PM

You gotta have the raw materials.

3. cur68 - Nov 30, 2011 at 11:38 AM

Tough to see how this works against the Rangers. The only fly in the ointment might be Mike & Greg not getting along the same way me and my brothers could never seem to get along when other people (girls) were watching. This should be interesting…

4. loungefly74 - Nov 30, 2011 at 12:50 PM

good luck to greg. a top 3 pitcher in my time of watching baseball since 1985…the other two? ryan and clemens…

5. bcirej - Nov 30, 2011 at 1:23 PM

Ranger’s pitching has let them down in two World Series, Mike Maddux has had these pitchers under his tutelage for several years, and they still don’t know how to win when it counts. He didn’t know how to pitch when he was a player, so how can he teach young guys? Ryan should have fired him as well as the “hitting” coach. Rangers lost because they were outcoached, so that’s where the first changes should have been made. Just to mention that ball that Cruz couldn’t catch, he was not in correct position. Batter was being pitched away and he was too far off the line, almost in right center. That was lack of communication among the coaches. Rangers will have the same problems until they get coaches who know how to coach to win.

• wlubake - Nov 30, 2011 at 1:49 PM

Yes, no better time to clean house than after back-to-back World Series appearances, especially when your team hasn’t won a playoff series prior to last year.

My guess is that the Rangers sense that Mike is going to get poached as a manager sooner than later. Greg is gearing up to take his place as pitching coach when he leaves. Smart move by Greg to get into such a great organization, top to bottom.

• bcirej - Nov 30, 2011 at 3:35 PM

The Rangers should get so lucky as to have Mike leave. They got as far as they did in spite of the coaches, the players are that talented. With better coaching direction and teaching, they would be even better. At least Greg knew how to pitch and the Ranger pitchers would know that and be more inclined to accept his coaching, but why would they listen to a coach who they know wasn’t very good in his playing days? And, the hitting coach? What was his major league batting average?

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet