Nov 30, 2011, 1:46 PM EST
Jose Reyes was spotted at a Philadelphia restaurant yesterday, leading to some hasty speculation about the Phillies’ potentially being interested in the free agent shortstop, but any rumors can safely be shut down.
Reyes was apparently just in town visiting his daughter, who lives in Philadelphia, and general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. made it very clear that the Phillies had nothing to do with his presence, telling Jayson Stark of ESPN.com:
I never talk about free agents, but you can quote me on this. If he was in the Continental in Philly, I have no knowledge of it. I don’t even know if he was there. But if he was, I have no knowledge of it.
Amaro certainly has a history of making surprising, bold, and under-the-radar moves, but it seems pretty safe to conclude that signing Reyes won’t be one of them.
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 11
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 56
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 141
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 24
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 37
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (141)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)