Nov 30, 2011, 1:46 PM EDT
Jose Reyes was spotted at a Philadelphia restaurant yesterday, leading to some hasty speculation about the Phillies’ potentially being interested in the free agent shortstop, but any rumors can safely be shut down.
Reyes was apparently just in town visiting his daughter, who lives in Philadelphia, and general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. made it very clear that the Phillies had nothing to do with his presence, telling Jayson Stark of ESPN.com:
I never talk about free agents, but you can quote me on this. If he was in the Continental in Philly, I have no knowledge of it. I don’t even know if he was there. But if he was, I have no knowledge of it.
Amaro certainly has a history of making surprising, bold, and under-the-radar moves, but it seems pretty safe to conclude that signing Reyes won’t be one of them.
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 5
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 16
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 33
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 67
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 7
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)