Nov 30, 2011, 1:46 PM EDT
Jose Reyes was spotted at a Philadelphia restaurant yesterday, leading to some hasty speculation about the Phillies’ potentially being interested in the free agent shortstop, but any rumors can safely be shut down.
Reyes was apparently just in town visiting his daughter, who lives in Philadelphia, and general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. made it very clear that the Phillies had nothing to do with his presence, telling Jayson Stark of ESPN.com:
I never talk about free agents, but you can quote me on this. If he was in the Continental in Philly, I have no knowledge of it. I don’t even know if he was there. But if he was, I have no knowledge of it.
Amaro certainly has a history of making surprising, bold, and under-the-radar moves, but it seems pretty safe to conclude that signing Reyes won’t be one of them.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 15
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 48
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17