Nov 30, 2011, 1:46 PM EDT
Jose Reyes was spotted at a Philadelphia restaurant yesterday, leading to some hasty speculation about the Phillies’ potentially being interested in the free agent shortstop, but any rumors can safely be shut down.
Reyes was apparently just in town visiting his daughter, who lives in Philadelphia, and general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. made it very clear that the Phillies had nothing to do with his presence, telling Jayson Stark of ESPN.com:
I never talk about free agents, but you can quote me on this. If he was in the Continental in Philly, I have no knowledge of it. I don’t even know if he was there. But if he was, I have no knowledge of it.
Amaro certainly has a history of making surprising, bold, and under-the-radar moves, but it seems pretty safe to conclude that signing Reyes won’t be one of them.
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 23
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 43
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 20
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 37
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 32
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 48
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 73
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)