Larry King is getting in on the Dodgers bidding

Nov 30, 2011, 12:32 PM EDT

Larry King

The list of celebrities aligning themselves with bidders for the Los Angels Dodgers keeps getting longer.  The latest? Larry King:

Larry King, the longtime talk-show host who in September said that Frank McCourt “does not belong as an owner of a baseball team,” might try to do a better job himself. King has agreed to participate as a minority investor in Dennis Gilbert’s bid to buy the Dodgers, a person familiar with the bidding process confirmed Tuesday.

This is fabulous news.  But, uh-oh, it’s causing Larry King’s not-yet-dead spirit to inhabit me again …

For my money there was no better dancer than Gene Kelly … Ronald Reagan was not just a President, he was a gentleman … Why doesn’t anyone bowl anymore? … Why hasn’t anyone given Angela Landsbury a big juicy role lately? Hollywood! … I don’t miss smoking, but I miss my cigarettes … Typewriters, maybe they weren’t as fast, but they made you stop and think … Roddy McDowell: a better pinochle player than you might expect …

Sorry. Can’t control that. It just happens.

1. cur68 - Nov 30, 2011 at 12:38 PM

You get possessed by the spirit of Larry King? Dude…I’m so…so sorry…have you tried wearing garilic?

• Jonny 5 - Nov 30, 2011 at 12:49 PM

At this point can the man even smell, see, or taste garlic?

• bozosforall - Dec 1, 2011 at 5:31 PM

I’d much rather “inhabit” the split of his wife.

2. aceshigh11 - Nov 30, 2011 at 12:44 PM

“The former hunchback of CNN!

‘Larry King Live’…even the title was an oxymoron.

His first caller was Alexander Graham Bell.

The first time he covered an uprising in Egypt, his guest was Moses…he asked him if he thought the whole thing was a pyramid scheme.

I kid Larry, though…he plans to spend his retirement opening a jar.”

— Jeff Ross (Donald Trump’s Comedy Central Roast)

3. Jonny 5 - Nov 30, 2011 at 12:48 PM

How that man has any money left to buy a baseball team after 7 divorces is beyond me. Unless?? Unless he goes all Frank McCourt on us and borrows it all?

• sknut - Nov 30, 2011 at 2:22 PM

I am sure his ex-wives are wondering the same thing.

4. deathmonkey41 - Nov 30, 2011 at 12:52 PM

Don’t you have to prove that you can realistically live longer than 3 months to become an owner of an MLB franchise?

5. hushbrother - Nov 30, 2011 at 12:59 PM

Maybe this way he can finally get to meet Sandy Koufax.

6. brucewaynewins - Nov 30, 2011 at 12:59 PM

Larry King either died a decade ago or he is the true Ra’s Al Ghul and is thus eternal. He’ll still own the Dodgers long after we’re gone.

7. Detroit Michael - Nov 30, 2011 at 1:09 PM

I love this post, Craig.

8. SmackSaw - Nov 30, 2011 at 1:18 PM

Jesus,

“King has agreed to participate as a minority investor in Dennis Gilbert’s bid to buy the Dodgers,”

King is not buying the Dodgers. He’s throwing in a bit of cash to get a small percentage.

Oh, I think he’d be repelled by garlic. I’m pretty sure he needs to drink human blood to survive,

• cur68 - Nov 30, 2011 at 2:08 PM

Well he seems to be consuming virgins at a great rate. What’s his marriage total up to now? 7 is it? Maybe I should get on the blood diet…

• Jonny 5 - Nov 30, 2011 at 2:34 PM

8 I think. Who knows how many wives he has outside of this country?

• cur68 - Nov 30, 2011 at 3:33 PM

Merde! 8? With possibilities of foreign brides, too? OMG, this guy has been possessing Craig! Who knows what nefarious deeds against the sanctity of marriage have been committed while using his Craig-form…

9. clydeserra - Nov 30, 2011 at 2:52 PM

“Chavez Ravine, HELLO”

10. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Nov 30, 2011 at 3:50 PM

Were those actual Larry King quotes? If not, you should write for him.

11. 78mu - Nov 30, 2011 at 5:02 PM

Let’s see – a guy that has had more wives than Henry VIII is going to buy a team that was part of a nasty divorce.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Dec 1, 2011 at 11:28 AM

I smell a sit-com!!

12. Brooklyn Dodgers of Los Angeles - Dec 1, 2011 at 12:12 AM

Larry- buy the Dodgers and bring them back to Brooklyn!

13. stew48 - Dec 1, 2011 at 1:37 PM

WOW! I have read too many sports articles and responses for my own good. But, CC, I just love this one, including all the comments folks have added. Seems there are some people who think sports are not a matter of life and death, but a fun addition to life. THANKS YOU AGAIN, all of you.

Giants, Royals took unique paths to WS