Mark Teixeira is in the best shape of his life

Nov 30, 2011, 3:30 PM EDT

teixeira getty Getty Images

This doesn’t quite qualify as a BSOML story because he didn’t use the magic words, but at this time of the year I’ll accept any story that leads with weight loss and conditioning. Mark Teixeira:

Mark Teixeira says that he is already about 10 pounds lighter thanks to diet and exercise, but what the Yankees first baseman really wants to do is bulk up his batting average from the left side … “I feel really, really good,” Teixeira said. “I’m eating a lot healthier; I’ve always eaten pretty healthy, but [I have used] the juice diet, making sure I’m not adding any unwanted calories. I’ve been able to run so much more, just being in better shape and getting over some nagging little injuries. Being able to move more and eat better really helps.”

Every story we see about a ballplayer’s weight loss means we’re one day closer to spring training getting underway.

1. sdelmonte - Nov 30, 2011 at 3:39 PM

The trick is not getting in shape during the offseason. It’s staying that way till October.

• Jonny 5 - Nov 30, 2011 at 4:17 PM

• purnellmeagrejr - Dec 1, 2011 at 7:53 AM

Interesting you should mention that – I’ve always thought it’s because he takes ADD medication that he looks so intense. I’ve even called my daughter over to the TV and said, “Look at this guys face – he’s on medication.”

2. lembeck4 - Nov 30, 2011 at 3:40 PM

Since when is slack jawed a shape?

3. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Nov 30, 2011 at 3:41 PM

“I lifted those dudes on Easter Island during a vacation, I can hold my breath underwater for 3 hours straight and I was able to punch my way out of a glacier during glacier-punching training in the Arctic a few weeks ago when I was vacationing.”

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Nov 30, 2011 at 4:13 PM

And you don’t always drink beer, but when you do you prefer Dos Equis?

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Nov 30, 2011 at 4:21 PM

“I prefer the blood of my ancestors. They made me who I am.” – Tesheera

4. crispybasil - Nov 30, 2011 at 4:00 PM

Need to find a way to use BSOML in a work email.

• Bryz - Nov 30, 2011 at 4:30 PM

“I’m taking tomorrow off so I can start working on getting into the best shape of my life. Oh, and I’ll likely take off Tuesday as well.”

5. FromThisSeat.com - Nov 30, 2011 at 4:17 PM

I’ll tell you a couple of players that need to drop some pounds to improve their numbers like Kung Fu Panda did for the Giants.

-Adam Dunn
    -Prince Fielder

Dunn needs to try something. He may not have a job too much longer in Chicago. I used to laugh when he was in left field for the Reds.

6. marshmallowsnake - Nov 30, 2011 at 5:13 PM

The JUICE diet. He admits it!!!!!

• bozosforall - Nov 30, 2011 at 6:34 PM

Too bad David Ortiz never will, even though every one knows that he is the juice KING.

7. beerjunkie - Nov 30, 2011 at 5:20 PM

Texiera is nothing but a big old fat whine tit. He needs to get over himself.

8. sportsdrenched.com - Nov 30, 2011 at 5:58 PM

He’s been hanging out at Ed Hochuli’s law firm.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3389)