Nov 30, 2011, 7:26 PM EDT
From FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal comes word that the Rockies have reached a two-year, $6.4 million free agent contract with veteran catcher Ramon Hernandez and have traded Chris Iannetta to the Angels for 21-year-old right-hander Tyler Chatwood.
Hernandez, 35, posted a .788 OPS in 328 plate appearances this year for the Reds. He’s not much of an upgrade offensively over Iannetta and he’s around seven years older, but it’s not a significant downgrade either and the Rockies have managed to grab a promising young starter in the three-pronged transaction.
Chatwood, a second-round pick in 2008, turned in a 4.75 ERA across 142 innings as a rookie in 2011. He struggled with his control to the tune of a 1.67 WHIP and 74/70 K/BB ratio, but he showed better command in the Angels’ minor league system and has plenty of time to develop that side of his game in Colorado.
So, in essence, the Rox get another promising young arm while barely losing any offensive potential and the Angels have secured a much-needed upgrade at catcher. Seems like there are positives for all parties.
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 70
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 83
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 64
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)