Nov 30, 2011, 7:26 PM EDT
From FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal comes word that the Rockies have reached a two-year, $6.4 million free agent contract with veteran catcher Ramon Hernandez and have traded Chris Iannetta to the Angels for 21-year-old right-hander Tyler Chatwood.
Hernandez, 35, posted a .788 OPS in 328 plate appearances this year for the Reds. He’s not much of an upgrade offensively over Iannetta and he’s around seven years older, but it’s not a significant downgrade either and the Rockies have managed to grab a promising young starter in the three-pronged transaction.
Chatwood, a second-round pick in 2008, turned in a 4.75 ERA across 142 innings as a rookie in 2011. He struggled with his control to the tune of a 1.67 WHIP and 74/70 K/BB ratio, but he showed better command in the Angels’ minor league system and has plenty of time to develop that side of his game in Colorado.
So, in essence, the Rox get another promising young arm while barely losing any offensive potential and the Angels have secured a much-needed upgrade at catcher. Seems like there are positives for all parties.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 45
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 123
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 86
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 164
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (202)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (164)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (123)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (123)