Nov 30, 2011, 7:26 PM EST
From FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal comes word that the Rockies have reached a two-year, $6.4 million free agent contract with veteran catcher Ramon Hernandez and have traded Chris Iannetta to the Angels for 21-year-old right-hander Tyler Chatwood.
Hernandez, 35, posted a .788 OPS in 328 plate appearances this year for the Reds. He’s not much of an upgrade offensively over Iannetta and he’s around seven years older, but it’s not a significant downgrade either and the Rockies have managed to grab a promising young starter in the three-pronged transaction.
Chatwood, a second-round pick in 2008, turned in a 4.75 ERA across 142 innings as a rookie in 2011. He struggled with his control to the tune of a 1.67 WHIP and 74/70 K/BB ratio, but he showed better command in the Angels’ minor league system and has plenty of time to develop that side of his game in Colorado.
So, in essence, the Rox get another promising young arm while barely losing any offensive potential and the Angels have secured a much-needed upgrade at catcher. Seems like there are positives for all parties.
- Zack Greinke hasn’t made decision about opt-out 0
- Someone apparently got Jayson Werth’s autograph in jail 18
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 55
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 42
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 103
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (103)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (85)