Some Red Sox players may not be thrilled with Bobby V.

Nov 30, 2011, 9:53 AM EST

Bobby Valentine

From Buster Olney’s column this morning:

As Valentine has emerged as a managerial candidate, some Red Sox players have been upset; they’ve been grumbling to each other, through texts and phone calls. Maybe it’s because they heard Bobby critique their play on the air. Maybe they haven’t liked his tone. Maybe they haven’t liked his smile. Maybe they’ve heard bad things.

Interesting. But man, how on Earth could the Sox have heard him critique their play while he was on the air? Valentine did Sunday night games and, without checking, I’m pretty sure the Red Sox were on every single freakin’ Sunday night broadcast last season.

Unless in addition to the beer and chicken the Sox’ clubhouse had a big screen TV too. Which, now that I think about it would be pretty sweet.

1. uyf1950 - Nov 30, 2011 at 10:08 AM

Well with Papelbon gone. I’m going to go out on a limb and say Beckett probably won’t be to happy with the selection. But that’s just my opinion.

2. PanchoHerreraFanClub - Nov 30, 2011 at 10:16 AM

It just goes to show, the Red Sox players eat fried chicken, drink beer, and play video games in the clubhouse, but they ain’t dumb!

3. yankeesgameday - Nov 30, 2011 at 10:17 AM

And so it begins.

Good luck Boston. Bwahahahaaaaaaaa

4. randygnyc - Nov 30, 2011 at 10:19 AM

As a Yankee fan, I can’t tell you how much I am enjoying the pre-circus entertainment. The Boston divas (players), have met their match, with the ultimate, ego maniacal, manager. Valentine fancies himself like a Tony Larussa, but he’s really Grady little, revisited. LMAO!!!!

• bozosforall - Nov 30, 2011 at 10:29 AM

Let the games begin!

As this underachieving franchise from a second-rate city spirals downward, watch the fair-weather fan base exit in droves.

• giselleisasucubus - Nov 30, 2011 at 10:38 AM

2nd rate city? Yeah, sure. The education & healthcare capital of the world are 2nd rate. You fit the name you frigin clown.

• 18thstreet - Nov 30, 2011 at 11:31 AM

• bobwsc - Nov 30, 2011 at 12:02 PM

keyboard toughguy, clap clap clap-clap-clap

• Ralphie - Nov 30, 2011 at 12:10 PM

Bozo’s from Newark, so the bar has been set high for Boston.

• homelanddefense - Nov 30, 2011 at 1:16 PM

definition of a troll

• bozosforall - Nov 30, 2011 at 8:26 PM

giselleisasucubus – Nov 30, 2011 at 10:38 AM

__
        Never said anything about the education or healthcare (though in reality, the resources are mostly imported, not native-born and bred). Most Bostonians couldn’t get into Haaavaaad anyway, particularly given the gross grammar and spelling errors that I routinely see on these boards.

• bozosforall - Nov 30, 2011 at 8:30 PM

Ralphie – Nov 30, 2011 at 12:10 PM
        Bozo’s from Newark, so the bar has been set high for Boston.

homelanddefense – Nov 30, 2011 at 1:16 PM
        definition of a troll

__
        Not even close on the first count.

And hilarous given that I’ve created a persona here that directly mirrors what New England fans have been acting like as regards the Yankees, Lakers, Steelers, Canadiens and any other teams that they envy because of the greater amount of successes that those franchises represent. So, look in the mirror, hopelessdefense…what you are seeing here is your own fan base.

• foodforthesoul28 - Nov 30, 2011 at 10:55 AM

Truly I have really lost interest since all these events. All I can say Is GOOOO BRUINS!!!!!!!!!

• bozosforall - Nov 30, 2011 at 8:30 PM

Typical fair weather Boston fan.

5. deathmonkey41 - Nov 30, 2011 at 10:19 AM

Maybe they’re afraid he’s going to change the clubhouse cuisine from fried chicken and beer to sushi and saki.

• uyf1950 - Nov 30, 2011 at 10:23 AM

I know that would do it for me. May be by this hire John Henry and Larry Lucchino are indicating a willingness to resign Dice K to an extension. Yep that’s it, they want Dice K back for another 6 years.

• manute - Nov 30, 2011 at 10:25 AM

Wraps.

• Old Gator - Nov 30, 2011 at 12:13 PM

Wait till they’ve slept off their first saki hangover. They’ll recognize beer for the little league beverage that it really is.

6. Jonny 5 - Nov 30, 2011 at 10:25 AM

Ohh nooo, he’s going to act like, like, (gasp!) a Boss……. boo hooo!!!! I will now cry rivers of chicken grease and beer…….

7. whatthehellisansky - Nov 30, 2011 at 10:35 AM

Can we get come cameras on the sawx this season a la ‘The Franchise’ (the showtime series that followed the SF Giants all year)?? Bobby V in that chicken eatin n beer drinkin club house has the makings for some must-see TV.

8. giselleisasucubus - Nov 30, 2011 at 10:36 AM

I dont give a damn how they “feel”. Get your underachieving, overpaid asses out there and play. I love the Red Sox, but god do I hate this team.

• randygnyc - Nov 30, 2011 at 10:40 AM

Lol, and I hate the red sox, but love what’s happening with this team.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Nov 30, 2011 at 10:57 AM

I’m glad you love that they’ve been successful and competitive for nine straight seasons. I really don’t think the chicken/beer thing is funny or an issue (but man would I love to see it die), nor do I think Bobby will have a negative impact whatsoever.

• PanchoHerreraFanClub - Nov 30, 2011 at 11:08 AM

Matt you need to remember that it was the Sox management/ownership that leak the chicken eating thing to papers, so apparently they think it is good for their image. It goes a long way toward explaining Bobby V’s hiring.

9. Ari Collins - Nov 30, 2011 at 10:39 AM

Or maybe the players have… the internet?

10. bigharold - Nov 30, 2011 at 11:16 AM

As a Yankee fan, I admit that there is some superficial glee over signing Valentine. Oh the possibilities for clubhouse fireworks, back stabbing and anonymous leaks. Shenanigans would be the order of the day, .. everyday.

That being said, Valentine isn’t a terrible manager and in some respects he very good one, although he not as good as he thinks he is. He reminds me of a lesser case Billy Martin, .. without all the drinking and fighting. At issue is his pugnacious attitude and healthy sense of self esteem . I have to think that he must of learned something from being on the MLB sidelines for the last ten years in terms what went wrong and why it’s taken so long to be hired again. It’s difficult being successful being yourself so I expect he’d be true to his core values but one would have to be an imbecile to not gain some perspective. Whatever you think of Valentine he’s not an imbecile.

I wouldn’t count on Valentine imploding, .. not being able to reach, coach or develop a rapport with the players, .. having a contentious relationship the GM, … at least initially. Perhaps over the course of his stay there you might see signs of these things but certainly not at first. I think Valentine will do his part to make it work. If he handled the NY media he’ll handle the Boston media. If he could put up with the loon Met fans, … well the Nation is a bit overbearing so we’ll have to see how that plays out. The players will play for him whether they like him or not. After last September they are not in the position of being mutinous, .. at least publically. I’d expect that if the worst does happen it’ll still take two years to play out and you won’t hear even a hint of it until the results of next season are in. A third or fourth place finish will start the unattributed stories and the craziness will begin to gather steam from there.

But, you never know, .. he might be just what the RS need to refocus next year. For baseball sake I hope so, .. it”l make for a better season. But, for the sake of snarky post and one liners I’m hoping all the hyperbole concerning Valentine’s hiring is accurate. Either way I win.

11. Matt Aromando - Nov 30, 2011 at 11:22 AM

I remember hearing Valentine complain at great length on a broadcast about how long Josh Beckett takes between pitches.

• 18thstreet - Nov 30, 2011 at 11:33 AM

Hell, I do that all the time.

• Kyle - Nov 30, 2011 at 11:45 AM

To be fair, he was/is right. Dude takes a really long time.

• Matt Aromando - Nov 30, 2011 at 12:11 PM

There’s no doubt about that, I was just pointing out at least one player who might not be happy with Valentine’s opinions.

12. cur68 - Nov 30, 2011 at 11:34 AM

Valentine in Boston is exactly what baseball needs, if it needs anything at all. What great press, anticipation and sense of excitement there is already for the upcoming season. To the point that madmen and every other bozo has rolled out to spew their opinion like its gospel and the rest of us know nothing.

I’m looking forward to Valentine in the dugout: I won’t have to listen to him anymore on the air except for the idjit manager interviews. I can look forward to his every move being scrutinized like he was a drunken heart surgeon. To his player’s every comment about him being dissected like a frog in a 7th grader’s science experiment (and just as clumsily, too). Bring it on, Boston. Bring it on, interweb commenting commandos. Looks like we have a front runner for the next HBT ‘cepts & a he’s got a wee mate, too (yes you, bozo).

Pitchers & Catchers in ~ 10 weeks, sure, but the winter seems less bleak now…

13. Jack Marshall - Nov 30, 2011 at 11:57 AM

How, in the name of God, could anyone compare Bobby V to a mouth-breathing, comatose, inarticulate paper-weight of a manager like Grady Little?

Players who need their butts kicked are unenthusiastic about getting a manager who will kick their butts. What a surprise.

• Old Gator - Nov 30, 2011 at 12:15 PM

Agreed. I view Bobby V as a literate, coherent, well-groomed, comparatively lucid version of Slobbering Ozzie, one that doesn’t spit or dribble when he rants.

• bozosforall - Nov 30, 2011 at 8:22 PM

Both haven’t won squat. And both will have gotten shat on (in a few years, in BV’s case) by Boston.

14. yournuts - Nov 30, 2011 at 1:29 PM

Ozzie would have been perfect in Boston.

15. randygnyc - Nov 30, 2011 at 2:15 PM

I didn’t say Bobby doesn’t know his baseball. In fact, I’d consider him to have “elite” baseball knowledge. Unfortunately, his worst enemy is himself and ultimately, his ego always undermines his abilities. Anyway, mike Francessa’s show confirmed what I had been writing about the VERY SERIOUS rift that already exists between valentine and Cherrington. Apparently, Cherrington prepared a list of possible managers that didn’t include valentine and still refused to add him after ownership insisted he do. Ownership bypassed Cherrington for the valentine interview. Cherrington, soon after was quoted by Boston media as saying that valentine had maturity issues. Can’t imagine that the 61 year old valentine appreciated that young kids remarks. I live in NYC so I didn’t read the original story about the maturity quote. If this was said, and knowing valentine, as our crosstown rivals as a met, that relationship will be permanently ruined. Valentine holds grudges for a lifetime. If he wins there, he’ll win the inevitable power play and Cherrington will be out lickety split.

16. barryblogs - Nov 30, 2011 at 3:04 PM

I’m no baseball expert, but know when a team needs a good butt kickin’. The Red Sox players have lost any right to have a “player-friendly” manager. I’m hoping Bobby Valentine can clean out the stench of last year, and get this team playing up to their ability. Go Sox!

17. thetooloftools - Nov 30, 2011 at 4:44 PM

From Terry Francona to WHO? You have got to be kidding me. That is what happens when you stop playing Boston. This must be a torture hire.

18. oilcanjim - Nov 30, 2011 at 6:19 PM

Had to pass this along, cribbed from Joe McDonald on espnboston.com: “Real baseball players don’t care too much about who writes the lineup,” said Oil Can Boyd, the long-time Red Sox pitcher who played for Valentine in Texas in 1991. “When they come to play, they come to play. That’s the part of the game no manager can really get out of an individual because that’s an individual thing, that’s a passion for the game that each and every ballplayer should carry onto the ball field — a passion to win and a passion to play good baseball and a passion to entertain the fans.”

You tell ‘em, Oil Can Boyd.

19. lostsok - Nov 30, 2011 at 8:52 PM

Am I the only one who things BOTH Boston and New York stopped being interesting YEARS ago…?

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (4721)
  2. M. Kemp (3743)
  3. M. Cabrera (2930)
  4. J. Kang (2801)
  5. J. Upton (2644)
  1. M. Morse (2628)
  2. W. Middlebrooks (2329)
  3. A. Rios (2288)