Baseball players like their stimulants: the annual drug report is released

Dec 1, 2011, 5:34 PM EST

syringe

Major League Baseball and the MLBPA just released the annual public report from the Joint Drug Prevention and Treatment Program’s Independent Program Administrator. Which is basically the State of Drugs in Baseball report. Highlights:

• There were 3868 drug tests given for PEDs in 2011;
  • Thirteen tests resulted in positives which resulted in discipline, 12 of which were for stimulants and only one of which was for what the drug program calls “a performance enhancing substance”;
  • There were 111 therapeutic use exemptions, allowing players to use otherwise banned substances. 105 of those were for ADD, two for high blood pressure, two for post-concussion syndrome, one for hypogonadism, and one for narcolepsy.

As Jeff Passan noted on Twitter a few minutes ago, those ADD exemptions represent 8.8% of 40-man rosters.  It is estimated that 4.7 percent of adults have ADD.

ADD drugs are stimulants and stimulants are the most commonly abused drugs by ballplayers. Just sayin’!

1. phukyouk - Dec 1, 2011 at 5:41 PM

I cannot say that I know a single person with attention deficit disor… oooo a pretty birdy

2. bigleagues - Dec 1, 2011 at 5:57 PM

Don’t know where that 4.7% comes from, but for a sport that is advancing its understanding through comprehensive statistical analysis, I think its opportunistic and dangerous as a “journalist” (referring to Passan) to draw any conclusions in the manner he did.

• umrguy42 - Dec 1, 2011 at 6:13 PM

Indeed. Small sample sizes still applies. Better comparisons would be – what’s the ADD rate for other sports? Maybe more of these guys went into sports as one method of dealing with ADD.

• paperlions - Dec 1, 2011 at 8:10 PM

Actually, it is perfectly fair…because the number of players “diagnosed” with ADD to be allowed to get and use these stimulants more than doubled once it was announced that stimulants were going to be tested for….these weren’t guys already on those meds (at least, not legally)…they were guys that were not using them and started to do so “legally” right before stimulant testing began.

• dadawg77 - Dec 1, 2011 at 8:53 PM

legally in regards to US prescription law or as to MLBs CBA and drug testing policy? If its about MLB it could be that the players didn’t want teams to know for financial reasons not because they were abusing a drug.

3. randomdigits - Dec 1, 2011 at 6:15 PM

I want to know who has narcolepsy.

• cur68 - Dec 1, 2011 at 6:21 PM

Well, I’m glad someone else does too. I’d posted that exact same question but it’s since disappeared, alas (O bleary little witticism, we never knew ye…). So, there’s someone on an MLB roster who falls asleep when they get excited. Who could this be?

• Brandon Warne - Dec 1, 2011 at 7:16 PM

Zach Braddock has a sleeping disorder but I don’t think that’s it.

• deathmonkey41 - Dec 1, 2011 at 7:32 PM

Okay, I’m going to tell you, but you have to promise not to…. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Dec 2, 2011 at 3:33 PM

“The count is 0-2. 1 man on, 2 outs. He delivers. A swing and a…..um….snooze?”

4. baseballpaul - Dec 1, 2011 at 6:29 PM

Who needs coffee and amphetamines these days, we’ve got ADD and ADHD drugs. Hooray for ritalin and adderol, Hooray!

• Kevin S. - Dec 1, 2011 at 8:57 PM

A number of ADHD drugs ARE amphetamines, actually. I’m on 40 mg of Vyvanse for ADHD, having recently decided to go to a drug treatment after years of trying to handle the condition through therapy. Among other effects, I’ve gone from drinking a half gallon of coffee a day to absolutely none and still find I have way more energy. This is with what is considered a low-to-moderate dosage. Anybody claiming that taking amphetamines is just like guzzling a bunch of coffee has no idea what they’re talking about*. Their impact on performance is real, and it’s significant. It disgusts me that a number of players are faking a very real disorder to gain a competitive edge.

*Yes, I know that’s not exactly what you said, but I kind of used your comment as an excuse to get up on the soap box

• foreverchipper10 - Dec 2, 2011 at 11:12 AM

I took a few adderol in college to study for tests. Those things make you all kinds of crazy focused. I read my media law book like it was theoatmeal.

5. matthewtrueblood - Dec 1, 2011 at 6:51 PM

Why is the search not on for the guy with hypogonadism?

6. skeleteeth - Dec 1, 2011 at 8:15 PM

Didn’t someone write about not being surprised highly tuned athletes have higher representations of an affliction like ADD than the populous, noting all the superstition and twitchy-habitual ceremonies players partake of daily?

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester