Dec 1, 2011, 11:34 AM EDT
Jon Heyman reports that Bobby Valentine’s deal with the Red Sox is a two-year deal.
Makes sense for a couple of reasons. For one thing, if Valentine hasn’t had deep playoff runs with this Red Sox team by the end of 2013, he’s basically failed. It’s a win-now team and he has to win now, so there’s no use thinking that the success of the hire won’t be well-known by, oh, Father’s Day 2013.
Second, as Ken Rosenthal noted, John Farrell’s contract with the Blue Jays lasts through 2013 as well. It’s no secret that the Red Sox would have liked to have had the chance to bring their former coach back to Boston, but were prevented from doing so by his contract situation. You never can tell what’s going to happen two years out, but this at least makes it possible that the Sox could have an easy transition after Bobby V’s race is run.
Valentine will be formally announced at a 5:30 press conference.
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 46
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 17
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)