Dec 1, 2011, 11:34 AM EDT
Jon Heyman reports that Bobby Valentine’s deal with the Red Sox is a two-year deal.
Makes sense for a couple of reasons. For one thing, if Valentine hasn’t had deep playoff runs with this Red Sox team by the end of 2013, he’s basically failed. It’s a win-now team and he has to win now, so there’s no use thinking that the success of the hire won’t be well-known by, oh, Father’s Day 2013.
Second, as Ken Rosenthal noted, John Farrell’s contract with the Blue Jays lasts through 2013 as well. It’s no secret that the Red Sox would have liked to have had the chance to bring their former coach back to Boston, but were prevented from doing so by his contract situation. You never can tell what’s going to happen two years out, but this at least makes it possible that the Sox could have an easy transition after Bobby V’s race is run.
Valentine will be formally announced at a 5:30 press conference.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 17
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 16
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 58
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (114)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?