Josh Johnson set to begin throwing program this weekend

Dec 1, 2011, 10:03 PM EDT

The Marlins have spoken with nearly all of the top free agents on the market this winter, including shortstop Jose Reyes, first baseman Albert Pujols, left-hander C.J. Wilson and outfielder Yoenis Cespedes.

But Miami’s primary addition for 2012 could very well come from within.

Josh Johnson, 27, posted a dominant 2.30 ERA and 186/48 K/BB ratio across 183 2/3 innings in 2010, then made only nine starts in 2011 due to complications with his right shoulder. He experienced a couple of setbacks throughout the summer, but he’s been pain-free for the past few months and all signs point to him being fully healthy at the beginning of spring training next February. Here’s SI.com’s Jon Heyman:

source:

Johnson boasts a fastball that regularly touches 95 mph, a hard-breaking power slider, an improving curveball and a quality changeup. When he’s on and healthy, he’s one of the top rotation arms in all of baseball.

1. Kyle - Dec 1, 2011 at 11:02 PM

Hope he makes it back at full strength. Love me some dominant starters in baseball.

2. Old Gator - Dec 1, 2011 at 11:23 PM

His expression seems to indicate that he’s looking in a mirror with his new uniform on for the first time. If I knew I had to go out there wearing that ridiculous outfit, I’d be dragging my heels like crazy.

3. btwicey - Dec 2, 2011 at 7:20 AM

Bold prediction #17 for 2012. JJ wins nl cy.

4. PanchoHerreraFanClub - Dec 2, 2011 at 9:09 AM

It’s tough for any pitcher to come back from shoulder problems. Here’s hoping that Josh is the exception.

5. drmonkeyarmy - Dec 2, 2011 at 10:26 AM

I like Josh Johnson and love when he matches up with Halladay. You can just book a classic pitchers duel on those days. However, I have a hard time believing that he will ever stay healthy for a full season.

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. M. Cuddyer (3217)