Dec 1, 2011, 11:11 PM EDT
The run on high-priced free agent closers rolls on.
His contract also includes a vesting option for 2015.
Bell has managed a 2.36 ERA and 1.16 WHIP over the past three seasons in San Diego and is likely to do a fine job at the back end of the Miami bullpen over the duration of his new three-year deal, but $9 million annually is a steep price for a team with many other holes that need patching.
Then again, the Marlins probably aren’t done spending.
The deal will be finalized after Bell takes a pre-signing physical Friday in Miami. Juan Carlos Oviedo (er, Leo Nunez) is likely to be non-tendered this winter. He’s still working on re-entering the United States.
UPDATE, 11:59 PM: FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal says the vesting option for 2015 is worth $9 million.
- Report: Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 0
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 196
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 91
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 30
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 82
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (196)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (91)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (84)