Dec 1, 2011, 2:20 PM EST
UPDATE: Done deal. Connolly says the Rangers are getting minor-league pitcher Randy Henry and a player to be named later for Teagarden.
Teagarden is out of minor-league options and seemingly not part of the Rangers’ plans, so it could be a good fit.
His stock has declined considerably over the past couple seasons, but Teagarden is still just 27 years old and has always been a strong defensive catcher with some pop at the plate. Unfortunately he’s hit just .220 with a ghastly .286 on-base percentage and 142/29 K/BB ratio in 392 plate appearances as a big leaguer.
Connolly notes that Orioles manager Buck Showalter was the Rangers’ manager back when they drafted Teagarden in 2005, so presumably he recommended him as a target. Texas’ asking price figures to be pretty modest.
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 43
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 119
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 18
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Dodgers cut Brian Wilson and his $9.5 million salary 53
- Royals and Alex Rios agree to one-year, $11 million contract 16
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. 95
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (124)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Jon Lester goes to Cubs for $155 million over six years (99)