Theo Epstein says the Cubs want to keep Matt Garza

Dec 1, 2011, 4:31 PM EST

Cincinnati Reds v Chicago Cubs Getty Images

We heard recently that the Cubs are looking to shop Matt Garza. Even today we heard that they were going to try to do so “aggressively.”  But Theo Epstein isn’t having it:

“He is exactly the type of guy we’d like to build around,” Epstein told reporters at Wrigley Field. “We need starting pitching.”

Two observations:

1. This doesn’t mean that they aren’t shopping Garza. It just means that they will want a lot for him; and

2. Isn’t Jed Hoyer the GM of the Cubs? I love how Theo Epstein is quoted about player moves all the time.  It’s like Hoyer is Andrew Ridgely or John Oates or something.

1. sknut - Dec 1, 2011 at 4:49 PM

“Isn’t Jed Hoyer the GM of the Cubs? I love how Theo Epstein is quoted about player moves all the time. It’s like Hoyer is Andrew Ridgely or John Oates or something.”

Before I read this part I was thinking the same thing. I know Epstein is in charge but what is Hoyer’s role?

That being said I don’t think they should trade him he is a solid pitcher and fairly young still.

• foreverchipper10 - Dec 2, 2011 at 10:53 AM

I asked the same thing in a thread like, a day ago.

2. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Dec 1, 2011 at 5:39 PM

Honestly, I think Theo’s merely the guy getting the quotes because he’s the more famous executive. His role with Hoyer, and Hoyer’s role with him, will be ironed out if not already.

That said, Theo signing DeJesus for $50 million less than Hendry would have, drawing a hard line with Z, plus this stance on keeping my current favorite Cub (until Kerry re-signs) is allowing me to develop quite the man-crush. All he needs to do now is have Fabio-like hair and stand on a mountain top in front of gusting winds.

• baseballisboring - Dec 1, 2011 at 8:43 PM

Yeah, exactly. Hoyer has no narrative attached to him. If Theo wins, everyone views him as a savior for breaking two curses, and if he fails people get to tear him down and say he’s overrated. Jed Hoyer’s just not any fun for the writers.

3. Jonny 5 - Dec 1, 2011 at 6:40 PM

I’d keep him. It’s not like he costs a ton to keep. Like Big Z is. Bleh, I get a bad taste when I say Big Z.

4. Kevin S. - Dec 1, 2011 at 8:02 PM

My guess is it’s just an attempt to generate leverage. If everybody knows you’re going to trade him because you won’t contend while he’s a positive asset for you, it’s tough to get equal value for him – teams will offer incrementally more than what they gauge the next-highest offer to be. But if you convince the crowd you’re perfectly willing to keep him, the implication is that it will take at least fair value to get him. We’ll see if that works or not – Theo might do better trading him at the deadline this year, when teams have a better idea of where they are on the contention curve while still providing them with more than just a two-month rental.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5738)