Dec 2, 2011, 3:15 PM EST
Bobby Valentine is on the move.
One day after being announced as the Red Sox’s new manager Valentine is headed to the Dominican Republic to participate in David Ortiz‘s charity golf tournament, according to Peter Abraham of the Boston Globe.
Oh, and while there Valentine will try to talk Ortiz into re-signing with the Red Sox. Boston offered Ortiz arbitration and he has until Wednesday to accept or decline.
Ortiz has made it very clear that he’d like to remain with the Red Sox, but has also said he wants a three-year deal and … well, that just isn’t going to happen at age 36. He was paid $12.5 million in the final season of a five-year, $64.5 million deal, hitting .309 with 29 homers and a .953 OPS that’s his highest since 2007.
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 60
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 22
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 37
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)