Dec 2, 2011, 3:15 PM EDT
Bobby Valentine is on the move.
One day after being announced as the Red Sox’s new manager Valentine is headed to the Dominican Republic to participate in David Ortiz‘s charity golf tournament, according to Peter Abraham of the Boston Globe.
Oh, and while there Valentine will try to talk Ortiz into re-signing with the Red Sox. Boston offered Ortiz arbitration and he has until Wednesday to accept or decline.
Ortiz has made it very clear that he’d like to remain with the Red Sox, but has also said he wants a three-year deal and … well, that just isn’t going to happen at age 36. He was paid $12.5 million in the final season of a five-year, $64.5 million deal, hitting .309 with 29 homers and a .953 OPS that’s his highest since 2007.
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 0
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 19
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 15
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 24
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 64
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 34
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)