Dec 2, 2011, 3:15 PM EDT
Bobby Valentine is on the move.
One day after being announced as the Red Sox’s new manager Valentine is headed to the Dominican Republic to participate in David Ortiz‘s charity golf tournament, according to Peter Abraham of the Boston Globe.
Oh, and while there Valentine will try to talk Ortiz into re-signing with the Red Sox. Boston offered Ortiz arbitration and he has until Wednesday to accept or decline.
Ortiz has made it very clear that he’d like to remain with the Red Sox, but has also said he wants a three-year deal and … well, that just isn’t going to happen at age 36. He was paid $12.5 million in the final season of a five-year, $64.5 million deal, hitting .309 with 29 homers and a .953 OPS that’s his highest since 2007.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)