Dec 2, 2011, 3:15 PM EDT
Bobby Valentine is on the move.
One day after being announced as the Red Sox’s new manager Valentine is headed to the Dominican Republic to participate in David Ortiz‘s charity golf tournament, according to Peter Abraham of the Boston Globe.
Oh, and while there Valentine will try to talk Ortiz into re-signing with the Red Sox. Boston offered Ortiz arbitration and he has until Wednesday to accept or decline.
Ortiz has made it very clear that he’d like to remain with the Red Sox, but has also said he wants a three-year deal and … well, that just isn’t going to happen at age 36. He was paid $12.5 million in the final season of a five-year, $64.5 million deal, hitting .309 with 29 homers and a .953 OPS that’s his highest since 2007.
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base 6
- Video: Josh Hamilton hits his first home run of the season 15
- Rockies starter Chad Bettis loses his no-hitter in the eighth inning 1
- Stephen Strasburg exits start in the second inning with an apparent injury 4
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit 57
- The Marlins aren’t happy with the Dan Jennings hire 42
- Andrew McCutchen is doing just fine now, thank you 20
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 69