Dec 2, 2011, 3:15 PM EDT
Bobby Valentine is on the move.
One day after being announced as the Red Sox’s new manager Valentine is headed to the Dominican Republic to participate in David Ortiz‘s charity golf tournament, according to Peter Abraham of the Boston Globe.
Oh, and while there Valentine will try to talk Ortiz into re-signing with the Red Sox. Boston offered Ortiz arbitration and he has until Wednesday to accept or decline.
Ortiz has made it very clear that he’d like to remain with the Red Sox, but has also said he wants a three-year deal and … well, that just isn’t going to happen at age 36. He was paid $12.5 million in the final season of a five-year, $64.5 million deal, hitting .309 with 29 homers and a .953 OPS that’s his highest since 2007.
- REPORT: The Astros to name A.J. Hinch their new manager today 15
- Twins fire manager Ron Gardenhire 33
- Pouliot’s 2014 American League awards picks 15
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs 79
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 83
- Reds beat Pirates behind Johnny Cueto, hand National League Central title to St. Louis 20
- Video: Steven Souza Jr. makes sensational catch to secure Jordan Zimmermann’s no-no 24
- David Price dominates Twins as Tigers win AL Central 30
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (84)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (79)
- Bud Selig says A-Rod will “have a clean slate” once his suspension is over (78)