Jorge Posada wants to play for the Marlins now? OK.

Dec 2, 2011, 11:00 AM EST

Jorge Posada

Jon Heyman tweeted a few minutes ago that Jorge Posada — who lives in Miami — would like to play for the Marlins.

Of course yesterday Heyman said that Posada wanted to play for the Mets and actually called them. That report was shot down an hour later by Posada’s agent.  So stay tuned to this one for updates.

I still can’t see what value Posada brings to … anyone. He’d be a backup catcher/bench bat, and there are both better backup catchers and bench bats available out there.  Oh well. He’s famous.

1. Ben - Dec 2, 2011 at 11:15 AM

Pretty soon the Marlins will employ every MLB player, and every other team will be forced into a ferocious bidding contest for Nick Punto in order to fill their 25-man roster.

2. phukyouk - Dec 2, 2011 at 11:20 AM

there is that “want” word again……

3. clownsfan - Dec 2, 2011 at 11:22 AM

How pathetic is it that everyone BUT HIM knows it’s over?

• phukyouk - Dec 2, 2011 at 11:35 AM

I cannot remember where i read it ( maybe here once?) but one of the key reasons that all the washed up players stick around is due to the health benefits. Jorge has a pretty sick kid from what i have seen. maybe, just maybe THATS his reasoning for trying to stick it out as long as he can. yea.. sure.. hes got millions upon millions but that can go in a matter of months from hospital bills.

AGAIN i cannot remember exactly where i read it but i most certainly did.

• uyf1950 - Dec 2, 2011 at 11:42 AM

phukyouk – I have very little doubt that Posada expressed an interest in staying with the Yankees organization in some front office role of coaching position the Yankees would love to have him, thereby covering or addressing any insurance concerns he might have for his family.

Unfortunately, I just think he’s having a very hard time seeing the writing on the wall as far as his playing days are concerned. Hopefully he comes to his senses sooner rather than later.

• phukyouk - Dec 2, 2011 at 11:48 AM

UYF – Perhaps that true. noone really knows. I am just saying that IF this is the only way for him to keep his benefits than he has to go all in and do it for his family. I am sure that the Yanks would consider bringing him into the front office in some capacity at some point but maybe not yet. I love the guy.. always have. I never liked his attitude but he was a Yankee through and through and will always have my respect and admiration. I wish him all the best wherever he goes.

• uyf1950 - Dec 2, 2011 at 11:53 AM

phukyouk, I agree. Family should always be a persons first concern.

• Joe - Dec 2, 2011 at 12:19 PM

This may be true, but I’m pretty sure Posada can get health insurance without being a baseball player. I don’t know for sure, but I wouldn’t be surprised if the MLBPA has a group policy that retired players can buy into. At the very least you’d think that his MLB coverage would be available under COBRA. It wouldn’t be free, but a guy who made over $100 million in his career hopefully has the savings to cover it.

• phukyouk - Dec 2, 2011 at 12:26 PM

Joe – here it is

• jwbiii - Dec 2, 2011 at 1:32 PM

Thanks for the Fasano article, phukyouk. I imagine the insurance is why he’s managing AA ball in New Hampshire instead of living with his family and managing Legion ball in Minooka.

• phukyouk - Dec 2, 2011 at 2:07 PM

Here is how i see it… If i had a kid with those problems and helping him/her out meant taking a job in the middle or Iraq i would be on the first plane out. so yea… if he is managing AA ball and not with his family i Imagine that this would be the reason why.

• Old Gator - Dec 2, 2011 at 12:45 PM

Bang the drum slowly, Jorge.

4. deathmonkey41 - Dec 2, 2011 at 11:22 AM

He wants to play for any team that will take him.

5. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Dec 2, 2011 at 11:44 AM

Is it me, or does he look a little like Mandy Patinkin in that photo?

Anywho, I hope Posada finds a gig. It’s always fun to see guys in uniforms you’d never imagine them in. That always intrigues me.

• Kyle - Dec 2, 2011 at 11:55 AM

Inigo Montoya or Saul Berenson?

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Dec 2, 2011 at 12:14 PM

Haha. The actor himself, so that would include most roles he’s had.

6. uyf1950 - Dec 2, 2011 at 11:45 AM

On a more somber not if I may be allowed to change the subject for just a moment. I have just read where the Padres have signed Omar Minaya as a special assistant to the GM. I leave it to the fans to decide if any good can come to the Pardes with this signing.

• thinman61 - Dec 2, 2011 at 12:16 PM

One good thing certainly comes out of it: it means he won’t be signing with the Red Sox as a special assistant to the GM.

• uyf1950 - Dec 2, 2011 at 12:17 PM

That’s definitely a big plus if you’re a Red Sox fan.

• jwbiii - Dec 2, 2011 at 1:37 PM

From what I have read, Minaya’s abilities as a scout are well-regarded. It’s just the other parts of being a GM that gave him trouble. If he serves in an über-scout advisor type role, it could work out well.

7. yournuts - Dec 2, 2011 at 12:40 PM

Jorge brings a lot to the table, he is one great teammate and competitor. His experience is invaluable to any organization that has young catchers or players. He can still come off the bench and pinch hit or catch on a part time basis. Any team would be lucky to have his services. I see him playing this year somewhere, perhaps in San Francisco, Florida or Washington. Good luck Jorge you are a great Yankee and a good man.

• jwbiii - Dec 2, 2011 at 1:45 PM

“He can still come off the bench and pinch hit”

His batting record for the last couple of years (.154 /.389 /.231 and .077/.143/.308 as a PH) suggests otherwise.

• caguilar55 - Dec 2, 2011 at 3:30 PM

I completely agree! I will miss seeing him in a Yankee uniform!

8. freeagentsignee - Dec 2, 2011 at 10:24 PM

Good luck Posada! It be tough seeing you in another uniform, but you’d be home and a veteran presence.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (4738)
  2. M. Kemp (3752)
  3. M. Cabrera (2934)
  4. J. Kang (2843)
  5. J. Upton (2660)
  1. M. Morse (2633)
  2. W. Middlebrooks (2344)
  3. A. Rios (2297)