Mark Cuban is going get in on the Dodgers bidding

Dec 2, 2011, 11:34 AM EST

Mavericks Clippers Basketball

Last month Mark Cuban said that he wouldn’t be interested in buying the Dodgers if the price was above one billion bucks. Most people are suggesting that the price will, in fact, be above a billion bucks.  But guess what: according to the L.A. Times, Cuban is going to get involved anyway.

It’s way too early to know if he’s going to be a serious bidder. He’s dipped his feet in before, first with the Cubs and then with the Rangers.  Contrary to his reputation as some sort of mad billionaire, he seems to be kind of reluctant to go crazy with this kind on investment. He wants partners involved and security and value. It’s unclear whether the Dodgers are really going to represent that kind of opportunity.  Indeed, one wonders if he just gets involved here so he can get a look at team financials so that he’s better educated one day when he goes after a team he really wants.

But hey, Mark Cuban. He’s fun.

1. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Dec 2, 2011 at 11:41 AM

Oh nice, Mark Cuban is doing the whole “Sleep-deprived Frankenstein” look these days.

2. deathmonkey41 - Dec 2, 2011 at 11:44 AM

I think he looks like the Cold Miser in that pic.

• foreverchipper10 - Dec 2, 2011 at 4:41 PM

I need to see this again. C’mon holiday tv scheduling, make me proud!

3. Brandon Warne - Dec 2, 2011 at 11:50 AM

From all I’ve heard (read: grain of sand), the country club won’t let him in.

• davidpom50 - Dec 2, 2011 at 12:43 PM

McCourt’s deal with MLB to sell the team says HE gets to pick the winning bid, not Selig.

4. Kyle - Dec 2, 2011 at 11:53 AM

Here’s hoping he cracks in one way or the other, now or later.

5. cur68 - Dec 2, 2011 at 11:58 AM

Crazy rich guy isn’t that crazy is what. I’m glad that he’s doing it like this. Will take some of the pressure off if he lands the Dodgers. Spreading the risk also means less chance of any one crazy rich guy makes off with the teams assets, splits the holdings and bankrupts the joint. Of course, because this makes all kinds of sense, it won’t happen…*sigh*

• CJ - Dec 2, 2011 at 12:02 PM

“Spreading the risk also means less chance of any one crazy rich guy makes off with the teams assets, splits the holdings and bankrupts the joint. ”

Yeah, like THAT ever happens…

6. Old Gator - Dec 2, 2011 at 12:20 PM

Oh boy. I better lay in some extra popcorn this winter. Frank and Jamie were getting o-o-old, but this is going to be good.

7. natstowngreg - Dec 2, 2011 at 12:22 PM

Cuban got his “crazy” reputation from his juvenile behavior at Dallas Mavericks games. But look at how successful the Mavericks (the defending NBA champions) have been under his ownership.

• Old Gator - Dec 2, 2011 at 12:42 PM

And who could possibly be more fun to piss off than David Stern?

• natstowngreg - Dec 2, 2011 at 3:06 PM

Bud Selig? Nah, Bud lacks Stern’s high lev el of arrogance. Hard to find anyone in MLB with the necessary level, now that George Steinbrenner has passed away.

8. Gamera the Brave - Dec 2, 2011 at 1:14 PM

Is Cuban wearing mascara?
    Maybe the picture is of him leaving a showing of Rocky Horror…

9. Gamera the Brave - Dec 2, 2011 at 1:15 PM

Or a Billy Idol concert…

10. cup0pizza - Dec 2, 2011 at 2:21 PM

Stupid comments precede me, as usual (except for Brandon Warne & Kyle). Anyway, here’s hoping that somehow Cuban gets the team. I’m pretty sure all fellow Dodgers fans are with me on that.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Dec 2, 2011 at 3:28 PM

Hey, I enjoy my comments! Tell me he doesn’t look like Frankenstein trying to write his Senior Thesis.

• cur68 - Dec 2, 2011 at 3:46 PM

I see nothing wrong with ‘0pizza’s comment. He’s probably telling the truth. It is very likely that stupid comments do usually precede him…as in “here comes stupid” & the ever popular “stupid is as ‘0pizza does”. I kinda feel sorry for him in fact.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Dec 2, 2011 at 5:31 PM

Yeah, most of the time he is preceded by noncompoops and dolts. But not in this case! I add a certain charm. A comment finesse, if you will.

• natstowngreg - Dec 2, 2011 at 6:54 PM

Further proof that this is cur’s world, and the rest of us just inhabit it.

11. Gamera the Brave - Dec 2, 2011 at 6:00 PM

cup,
    I was aware that my post was stupid when I made it, thank you very much.
    But, if it will make you feel better…
    Gosh, it would be swell if Cuban bought the Dodgers! His enthusiasm (and lotsa money) will restore the moribund Dodgers to their former greatness! It would be nice for the Giants and Dodgers to be on more equal footing, to renew that excellent rivalry.
    Howzat?
    Overall, however, I’m with Stairs on this one – although he also looks like he is about to yell, “Curse you!!!” to someone…

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5004)