Dec 2, 2011, 9:41 PM EDT
While one is a rather predictable target, the other is a bit of a surprise.
Francis, who turns 31 in January, posted a 4.82 ERA and 91/39 K/BB ratio over 183 innings with the Royals this season. The southpaw averaged a career-low 4.5 K/9 while the velocity on his fastball (84.7) was down a couple ticks from his career average. The good news is that his shoulder wasn’t an issue and he managed to make 30 starts for the first time since 2007. However, he may have to settle for a one-year deal this winter.
The Twins have only had initial talks with the agent for Francis, but they should have further discussions at the Winter Meetings next week. The Rockies have also expressed interest in bringing him back, according to Troy Renck of the Denver Post.
As for Jackson, Morosi acknowledges that he appears to be more of a longshot. The 28-year-old right-hander is one of the top options in a market lacking in quality starting pitchers, so with any luck, he should be able to find a three-year deal. Throw in the fact that Jackson is represented by Scott Boras and the Twins have already said that they plan to cut payroll relative to 2011, and it’s likely he ends up elsewhere.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 64
- Alex Sanabia brings back the spitball in beating the Phillies 54
- Joe Maddon shows us why limited instant replay and manager challenges are bad ideas 47
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore 73
- Apparently Miguel Cabrera’s 2013 has made his 2012 better somehow 55
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (94)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (92)
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (86)
- Yankees School of Witchcraft and Wizardry (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- Golden Super Bowl to Bay Area; LI to Houston
- PBT: Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- CSN: Tiger admits he and Sergio don't get along
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team
- PHT: Kings searching for killer instinct in Game 4
- PFT: Romo out of OTAs after back surgery