Dec 2, 2011, 10:15 AM EST
DeWitt doesn’t hit much, but he’s much more versatile and valuable than Stewart defensively and also under team control through 2014.
Not so long ago the notion of trading Stewart for a utility man-caliber player like DeWitt would have seemed crazy for the Rockies, but with Stewart’s value at an all-time low and trade options limited by his projected $2.5 million salary for 2012 they might be willing to simply swap him for someone younger, cheaper, and capable of keeping third base warm until top prospect Nolan Arenado is ready.
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 21
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 48
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 35
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)